Monday, May 16, 2011

an altogether new relationship.Afterwards he got more animated.

 I sat down on it
 I sat down on it. At that I chuckled gleefully. And I shall have to tell you later that even the processes of putrefaction and decay had been profoundly affected by these changes.and that consequently my pace was over a year a minute; and minute by minute the white snow flashed across the world. as the Upper-world people were to theirs. was this Lemur doing in my scheme of a perfectly balanced organization? How was it related to the indolent serenity of the beautiful Upper-worlders? And what was hidden down there. fearing the darkness before us; but a singular sense of impending calamity.sudden questions kept on rising to my lips. I knew that both I and Weena were lost. whistling THE LAND OF THE LEAL as cheerfully as I could.For the most part of that night I was persuaded it was a nightmare. Then I seemed to know of a pattering about me. and again sat down.I found the Palace of Green Porcelain.And ringing the bell in passing.and with his hands deep in his trousers pockets.said the Time Traveller.I was simply starving.

 too.Ive lived eight days .I remarked indeed a clumsy swaying of the machine. my feet were grasped from behind.said the Very Young Man. in trying to revive the sensation of fear.and then be told Im a quack. There was nothing in this at all alarming. I said. a noiseless owl flitted by.There was a minutes pause perhaps. of a very great depth. My plan was to go as far as possible that night. Not a creature seemed to be stirring in that moonlit world.I was simply starving. They were the only tears. and put it about my neck.he said after some time.

At first I scarce thought of stopping. the general effect was extremely rich and picturesque.) The end I had come in at was quite above ground. I lit a match. Suddenly Weena. I stood up and found my foot with the loose heel swollen at the ankle and painful under the heel so I sat down again. I stood with my back to a tree. oddly enough. So I say I saw it in my last view of the world of Eight Hundred and Two Thousand Seven Hundred and One.Its too long a story to tell over greasy plates.Have a good look at the thing.Yes. I struck none of my matches because I had no hand free. of all that I beheld in that future age.He passed his hand through the space in which the machine had been. Instead.Hes unavoidably detained. the Upper-world man had drifted towards his feeble prettiness.

is spoken of as having three dimensions.and again grappled fiercely. Yet the sulphur hung in my mind. Up to this. For they had forgotten about matches. I began the conversation. and silently placed two withered flowers.said the Time Traveller. savage survivals. So far I had seen nothing of the Morlocks. I believe she would have cast herself into it had I not restrained her. And last of all. and the curtains that hung across the lower end were thick with dust. All the old constellations had gone from the sky. who had been staved off for a few thousand years.While I was musing upon these things. must have been done. My museum hypothesis was confirmed.

 it seemed to me. I began to suspect their true import. I began to think of this house of mine. I carefully wrapped her in my jacket. for instance.it had stood at a minute or so past ten; now it was nearly half past three!I drew a breath.carved apparently in some white stone. And then down in the remote blackness of the gallery I heard a peculiar pattering. came back again.He passed his hand through the space in which the machine had been. in particular. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort. intellectual as well as physical. It was a nearer thing than the fight in the forest. I felt sleep coming upon me.The slowest snail that ever crawled dashed by too fast for me. Some I recognized as a kind of hypertrophied raspberry and orange. and intelligent.

 I felt a certain sense of friendly comfort in their twinkling.So that it was the Psychologist himself who sent forth the model Time Machine on its interminable voyage.still smiling faintly. or some such figure.You are going to verify THATThe experiment! cried Filby. And besides. and the diminishing numbers of these dim creatures. I caught the poor mite and drew her safe to land. But I saw no vestige of my white figures. stiff. rather foolishly. But while such details are easy enough to obtain when the whole world is contained in ones imagination. Why. So I say I saw it in my last view of the world of Eight Hundred and Two Thousand Seven Hundred and One. and.But probably. I woke with a start.And so my mind came round to the business of stopping.

There I found a second great hall covered with cushions.Under the new conditions of perfect comfort and security. and pattering like the rain.save for spasmodic jumping and the inequalities of the surface. I knew that such assurance was folly.From the brow of the next hill I saw a thick wood spreading wide and black before me. are indeed no longer weak.for a silver birch tree touched its shoulder..And so my mind came round to the business of stopping. and it must have made me heavy of a sudden. but even so. when the appearances of these unpleasant creatures from below. and while I was with them. and then.I had half a mind to follow.far easier down than up. there are subways.

 as it seemed. Several more brightly clad people met me in the doorway.to a man who has travelled innumerable years to see you. that I gave no thought to the possibilities it presented. was gone. There was the tangle of rhododendron bushes. the advertisement.and the Silent Man followed suit. would take back to his tribe What would he know of railway companies.gripped the starting lever with both hands. a kind of bluish-green. and in addition I pushed my explorations here and there.and as it seemed to me greyer either with dust and dirt or because its colour had actually faded. I pointed to the Time Machine and to myself. I had been restless.my mind was wool-gathering. I turned to Weena.never opened his mouth all the evening.

attentively enough; but you cannot see the speakers white.Has he been doing the Amateur Cadger I dont follow. Diseases had been stamped out.He was in an amazing plight. yellow and gibbous. and then come languor and decay. Then.Can a cube that does not last for any time at all.And you cannot move at all in Time. against passion of all sorts; unnecessary things now.and showed you the actual thing itself.But at last the lever was fitted and pulled over. In the next place. was a kind of island in the forest. the same abundant foliage.only the more dreadful and disgusting for our common likeness a foul creature to be incontinently slain.regarded as something different And why cannot we move in Time as we move about in the other dimensions of SpaceThe Time Traveller smiled. again.

 in bathing in the river. I was surprised to see a large estuary.and pass like dreams. as I scanned the slope. and for five of the nights of our acquaintance.arriving late. I left her and turned to a machine from which projected a lever not unlike those in a signal-box. but singularly ill-lit.Sandals or buskins I could not clearly distinguish which were on his feet; his legs were bare to the knees. to show no concern and to abstain from any pursuit of them.then day again. but everything had long since passed out of recognition. and rifles. and silently placed two withered flowers. was seven or eight miles. to question Weena about this Under-world. coming suddenly out of the quiet darkness with inarticulate noises and the splutter and flare of a match.broad head in silhouette.

 this ripe prime of the human race.however. and then I could feel them approaching me again. I did not clearly know what I had inflicted upon her when I left her. but the devil begotten of fear and blind anger was ill curbed and still eager to take advantage of my perplexity. somehow seemed appropriate enough.But now you begin to see the object of my investigations into the geometry of Four Dimensions. And it was already long past sunset when I came in sight of the palace.and then Ill come down and explain things. as I looked round me. flinging peel and stalks. Apparently this section had been devoted to natural history.Now.man had no freedom of vertical movement.Can an INSTANTANEOUS cube existDont follow you.he said: Now I want you clearly to understand that this lever.You have told Blank. soft-colored robes and shining white limbs.

 most of them looked sorely frightened. Some were bathing in exactly the place where I had saved Weena. standing strange and gaunt in the centre of the hall. They all withdrew a pace or so and bowed. and when my second match had ended. as I say. and found that her name was Weena. In another moment I was in a passion of fear and running with great leaping strides down the slope. I judged. I solemnly performed a kind of composite dance.sincere face in the bright circle of the little lamp. to question Weena about this Under-world. it seemed at first impenetrably dark to me. and began walking aimlessly through the bushes towards the hill again.the Very Young Man thought. and now my passion of anxiety to get out of it. Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. I was overpowered.

 It was an obvious conclusion.said the Psychologist. an experience I dreaded. strong. The Morlocks at any rate were carnivorous! Even at the time.pass into future Time.As I did so the shafts of the sun smote through the thunderstorm. In three strides I was after him. the world at last will get overcrowded with them. I could not see how things were kept going. And this same widening gulf--which is due to the length and expense of the higher educational process and the increased facilities for and temptations towards refined habits on the part of the rich--will make that exchange between class and class.and the lamp flame jumped. Then I would fall to rubbing my eyes and calling upon God to let me awake.I suppose a suicide who holds a pistol to his skull feels much the same wonder at what will come next as I felt then. Towards that. There were no hedges. man had thrust his brother man out of the ease and the sunshine. and the like conveniences.

 instead of casting about among the trees for fallen twigs.as I went on. At any rate I did my best to display my appreciation of the gift. I shouted at them as loudly as I could. but nothing came of it. Upon these my conductors seated themselves.There is. I resolved I would make the descent without further waste of time. is the cause of human intelligence and vigour? Hardship and freedom: conditions under which the active. Then the thought of the absolute security in which humanity appeared to be living came to my mind. I was overpowered.and disappear. educated. But. And I shall have to tell you later that even the processes of putrefaction and decay had been profoundly affected by these changes.he went to the tobacco jar on the mantel. that we came to a little open court within the palace. as I think I have said.

had absolutely upset my nerve. My arms ached.and off the machine will go. I put Weena.towards the garden door. Humanity had been strong. I had nothing left but misery. and how wide the interval between myself and these of the Golden Age I was sensible of much which was unseen. and protected by a little cupola from the rain. and I found afterwards abundant verification of my opinion. Yet her distress when I left her was very great. that here was that hateful grindstone broken at last!As I stood there in the gathering dark I thought that in this simple explanation I had mastered the problem of the world mastered the whole secret of these delicious people. I may as well confess. And then I thought once more of the meat that I had seen.and is always definable by reference to three planes. and so faded into the serenity of the sky. The two species that had resulted from the evolution of man were sliding down towards. Weena I had resolved to bring with me to our own time.

 there is a vast amount of detail about building. But this attitude of mind was impossible. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease. I felt like a schoolmaster amidst children. staggered a little way..shy man with a beard whom I didnt know. or might be happening. I thought.looking over his shoulder.The next night I did not sleep well. I was in the dark--trapped. and the bitterness of death came over my soul. I had a persuasion that if I could enter those doors and carry a blaze of light before me I should discover the Time Machine and escape. At least she utilized them for that purpose. I was caught by the neck. to judge by their wells. and their sandals.

 in this old familiar room. no social question left unsolved. and the specialization of the sexes with reference to their childrens needs disappears. with the certainty that sometimes comes with excessive dread. the vapour of camphor was in the air. Such of them as were so constituted as to be miserable and rebellious would die; and. intellectual as well as physical.are you in earnest about this Do you seriously believe that that machine has travelled into timeCertainly. With a sudden fright I stooped to her. and peering down into the shafted darkness. and the little people soon tired and wanted to get away from my interrogations. you may think. remote. leave me again to my own devices.any more than a savage or an animal has of staying six feet above the ground.has no real existence. armed with a perfected science and working to a logical conclusion the industrial system of to-day. and the voices of others among the Eloi.

 I was about to throw it away.The dim suggestion of the laboratory seemed presently to fall away from me. stretching myself.After the fatigues. pursuing pleasure and comfort and beauty.and that there is an odd twinkling appearance about this bar.I looked for the building I knew.but to me she seemed to shoot across the room like a rocket. the balance being permanent. There were no signs of struggle.He can go up against gravitation in a balloon. I sat down on it. and contrived to make her understand that we were seeking a refuge there from her Fear. Several times my head swam. closing her eyes. looking grotesque enough. an altogether new relationship.Afterwards he got more animated.

No comments:

Post a Comment