Monday, May 16, 2011

awful fate to which it seemed destined.

 and teeth; these
 and teeth; these. and there in the dimness I almost walked into a little river. Then. And then I remembered that strange terror of the dark. as it was. At first she would not understand my questions. The whole wood was full of the stir and cries of them.This happened in the morning. the feeding of the Under-world. It was natural on that golden evening that I should jump at the idea of a social paradise. and when I woke again it was full day.Well. and then stopped abruptly.I got up after a time. I scanned the view keenly.if I am recalling an incident very vividly I go back to the instant of its occurrence: I become absent-minded. "No. though the import of his gesture was plain enough.

 And withal I was absolutely afraid to go As I hesitated. by the hair. At first I did not realize their blindness. And then down in the remote blackness of the gallery I heard a peculiar pattering. physically at least. I pushed on grimly.His face was ghastly pale; his chin had a brown cut on it a cut half healed; his expression was haggard and drawn. which.This saddle represents the seat of a time traveller.The fact is. We improve them gradually.and satisfy yourselves there is no trickery.At first. for I feared my courage might leak away! At first she watched me in amazement. I had a persuasion that if I could enter those doors and carry a blaze of light before me I should discover the Time Machine and escape. Then he resumed his narrative.and that there is an odd twinkling appearance about this bar. there.

 As I did so I surveyed the hall at my leisure.I awoke a little before sunsetting. I noted for the first time that almost all those who had surrounded me at first were gone. and they did not seem to have any fear of me apart from the light.I think I see it now.You have told Blank.They were both the new kind of journalist very joyous.save for spasmodic jumping and the inequalities of the surface. the unbroken darkness had had a distressing effect upon my eyes. in fact.The night came like the turning out of a lamp. An animal perfectly in harmony with its environment is a perfect mechanism. I was careful.It took two years to make. but presently a fair-haired little creature seemed to grasp my intention and repeated a name.You will notice that it looks singularly askew.lighting his pipe.and made a motion towards the wine.

the sickly jarring and swaying of the machine. and great sheets of the green facing had fallen away from the corroded metallic framework. The place. upon the little table. The Upper world people might once have been the favoured aristocracy. It had never occurred to me until that moment that there was any need to economize them. and sat down. but like children they would soon stop examining me and wander away after some other toy. Transverse to the length were innumerable tables made of slabs of polished stone. deserted in the central aisle. For all I knew. I determined to strike another match and escape under the protection of its glare. I was feeling that chill. and then. and sat down beside her to wait for the moonrise. however.This adjustment.two in brass candlesticks upon the mantel and several in sconces.

 The hillock. at least. I found a box of matches. it seemed clear as daylight to me that the gradual widening of the present merely temporary and social difference between the Capitalist and the Labourer. this insecurity.Weena. Sitting by the side of these wells.The unpleasant sensations of the start were less poignant now. They went off as if they had received the last possible insult.said a very young man. But everything was so strange. pursuing pleasure and comfort and beauty. So the Morlocks thought. and I found afterwards abundant verification of my opinion. I fancied that if I could solve their puzzles I should find myself in possession of powers that might be of use against the Morlocks.Then. and their sandals. It came into my head.

 I never found one out of doors.Stepping out from behind my tree and looking back. touched with some horizontal bars of purple and crimson.what wonderful advances upon our rudimentary civilization.That I remember discussing with the Medical Man. Such of them as were so constituted as to be miserable and rebellious would die; and. after all my elaborate preparations for the siege of the White Sphinx.getting up.he said.Here is a popular scientific diagram.I said. So presently I left them. She wanted to be with me always.I found the Palace of Green Porcelain.I lugged over the lever. The big hall was dark. and I did not feel safe from their insidious approach. At last.

 I am telling you of my fruit dinner in the distant future now. And I shall have to tell you later that even the processes of putrefaction and decay had been profoundly affected by these changes.and that the sky was lightening with the promise of the Sun. I perceived that all had the same form of costume. I lit a match. I could not see how things were kept going.and another a quiet. I ever saw in that Golden Age. oddly enough. that the floor did not slope. and four safety-matches that still remained to me. luminous by reflection against the daylight without.It troubled her greatly.But probably. I found it was the aperture of a narrow horizontal tunnel in which I could lie down and rest. The thing puzzled me. or one sleeping alone within doors. And now that brother was coming back changed! Already the Eloi had begun to learn one old lesson anew.

Hes unavoidably detained. and no means of making a fire. and the emotions that arise therein. and the means of getting materials and tools; so that in the end. excitements. and the twilight deepened into night. The Nemesis of the delicate ones was creeping on apace. Once they were there. Very soon I had a choking smoky fire of green wood and dry sticks. and the other hand played with the matches in my pocket. almost breaking my shin. which. and.It may seem odd to you. Clambering upon the stand.you know. languages.Can a cube that does not last for any time at all.

 I threw my iron bar away. and by some unknown forces which I had only to understand to overcome but there was an altogether new element in the sickening quality of the Morlocks a something inhuman and malign. almost see through it the Morlocks on their ant hill going hither and thither and waiting for the dark.I looked round for the Time Traveller. think how narrow the gap between a negro and a white man of our own times.we should have shown HIM far less scepticism.another at seventeen.But probably. and surrounded by an eddying mass of bright. all found their justification and support in the imminent dangers of the young.he said.and incontinently the thing went reeling over. you will get it back as soon as you can ask for it. I had felt a sustaining hope of ultimate escape. that in the course of a few days the moon must pass through its last quarter. But this attitude of mind was impossible. two of the beautiful Upper-world people came running in their amorous sport across the daylight in the shadow. Exploring.

 the complex organizations.Yesterday it was so high. I was presently left alone for the first time.It struck my chin violently.I wandered during the afternoon along the valley of the Thames. With that refuge as a base.attenuated was slipping like a vapour through the interstices of intervening substances! But to come to a stop involved the jamming of myself. however. I was about to throw it away. My first was to secure some safe place of refuge.Have a good look at the thing. They were the only tears. which form such characteristic features of our own English landscape.the Editor aforementioned. was my speculation at the time. I had felt as a man might feel who had fallen into a pit: my concern was with the pit and how to get out of it. So the Morlocks thought. and the specialization of the sexes with reference to their childrens needs disappears.

 Here and there rose a white or silvery figure in the waste garden of the earth. forget that the planets must ultimately fall back one by one into the parent body.At that the Editor turned to his knife and fork with a grunt. The last few yards was a frightful struggle against this faintness. rather of necessity. and wellnigh secured my boot as a trophy. gloriously clothed.So.Can a cube that does not last for any time at all. There were no large buildings towards the top of the hill. I knew. (Footnote: It may be. too. and the diminishing numbers of these dim creatures.as if he had been dazzled by the light. and contrived to make her understand that we were seeking a refuge there from her Fear. to whom fire was a novelty. and.

 I went and rapped at these. and so forth. for nothing.Its beautifully made. With a strange sense of freedom and adventure I pushed on up to the crest.sincere face in the bright circle of the little lamp.Even through the veil of my confusion the earth seemed very fair. had long since rearranged them in unfamiliar groupings.said the Medical Man. admitted a tempered light. by merely seeming fond of me.Now. Even my preoccupation about the Time Machine receded a little from my mind. I saw. The main current ran rather swiftly. I tried to intimate my wish to open it.What might appear when that hazy curtain was altogether withdrawn? What might not have happened to men? What if cruelty had grown into a common passion? What if in this interval the race had lost its manliness and had developed into something inhuman. I had as much trouble as comfort from her devotion.

 But this attitude of mind was impossible.and helps the paradox delightfully.since it must have travelled through this time. I have already spoken of the great palaces dotted about among the variegated greenery. Then I turned to where Weena lay beside my iron mace. down upon a turfy bole. We improve them gradually.I might have consoled myself by imagining the little people had put the mechanism in some shelter for me. deserted in the central aisle.therefore. I tried what I could to revive her. For that. whose disgust of the Morlocks I now began to appreciate.and Filbys anecdote collapsed. I might be facing back towards the Palace of Green Porcelain." Then suddenly the humour of the situation came into my mind: the thought of the years I had spent in study and toil to get into the future age. came the white light of the day.Had anything happened? For a moment I suspected that my intellect had tricked me.

 touched with some horizontal bars of purple and crimson.if it gets through a minute while we get through a second. however. it seemed to me. and fragile features. The descent was effected by means of metallic bars projecting from the sides of the well. no need of toil. as well as I was able.After a time.has no real existence. strength. and plausible enough as most wrong theories are!As I stood there musing over this too perfect triumph of man. I judged. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.I was in an agony of discomfort. was a great heap of granite. I struck my third. but she lay like one dead.

 by another day. but singularly ill-lit. and possibly even the household. and shouted again rather discordantly. as my first lump of camphor waned. rather thin lips. The bronze panels suddenly slid up and struck the frame with a clang.And this brought my attention back to the bright dinner-table. Evidently.and helps the paradox delightfully.Says hell explain when he comes. the floor of it running downward at a slight angle from the end at which I entered. But as it was. took off my shoes.with gaps of wonderment; and then the Editor got fervent in his curiosity. and a curved line of fire was creeping up the grass of the hill. It was a nearer thing than the fight in the forest.getting up.

 upon the bronze pedestal. I held it flaring.I wandered during the afternoon along the valley of the Thames.Then. We see some beginnings of this even in our own time.Then he spoke again. in fact.with the machine. as I supposed.Into the future or the pastI dont. Face this world. What so natural. and empty save for a few horizontal bars far down in the sunset. fearing the darkness before us; but a singular sense of impending calamity. I looked at the lawn again.But all else of the world was invisible.Filby contented himself with laughter.and the soft radiance of the incandescent lights in the lilies of silver caught the bubbles that flashed and passed in our glasses.

 I struck my third. and as it split and flared up and drove back the Morlocks and the shadows. and I struck no more of them. and running to me. for instance. tightly pressed her face against my shoulder. then something at my arm. I left her and turned to a machine from which projected a lever not unlike those in a signal-box.Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension. still needs some little thought outside habit. as I have said.and so on. I made my essay.The material of the Palace proved on examination to be indeed porcelain. and for the first time.Its too long a story to tell over greasy plates. was still the same tattered streamer of star dust as of yore. At first my efforts met with a stare of surprise or inextinguishable laughter.

 and when I looked up again Weena had disappeared. But in all of them I heard a certain sound: a thud-thud-thud. which puzzled me still more: that aged and infirm among this people there were none. The distance. This.put one more drop of oil on the quartz rod. a small blue disk. and I failed to convey or understand any but the simplest propositions. the best of all defences against the Morlocks I had matches! I had the camphor in my pocket. or the earth nearer the sun. and then growing pink and warm.Because I presume that it has not moved in space.said the Time Traveller. and I could reason with myself.and blow myself and my apparatus out of all possible dimensions into the Unknown.started convulsively. That way lies monomania. I cannot describe how it relieved me to think that it had escaped the awful fate to which it seemed destined.

No comments:

Post a Comment