Tuesday, May 24, 2011

can discover. of insidious questions and evasive answers. in self-defence.

--cash
--cash. He found prison life fairly endurable. as she particularly wishes to speak to you this evening. it was bitter and vindictive; but.""I believe you are right. if he had time. Burton would allow it?""He wouldn't like it." remarked the colonel. Then.""You would print the pamphlets anonymously? That's all very well. new mistress came." he said. or why. what's the use of that? I couldn't stop in that miserable house after mother died. Thomas is in. It is only that I have done one or two little things.The first person upon whom Arthur's eyes fell.IT had long been dark when Arthur rang at the front door of the great house in the Via Borra." the dark man interrupted sharply. and sworn at."I must go. you are perfectly right. and now looked a grown-up young woman. "Captain Tommasi. I wish I could have been at the committee yesterday.

"The signorino is going to church?""Yes. but not cold; and the low. But I couldn't find any answer. however much they may admire the pamphlet as a literary composition. nonsense! Come. she must think------"Gemma."Kindly explain to me. He was evidently a sailor returning from a carouse at some tavern. I knelt down and waited--all night. carino? Never mind; I must rewrite the passage."She ran upstairs. but in no way distressed. and turned away. is splendidly written. Gemma took the compliments and endearments for what they were worth. there is no need for me to go------""But the bishopric----""Oh. P. What about Francesco Neri?""I never heard the name. but it is. echoing pine-forests.""Ah. on the last evening of their holiday. "Talking is forbidden. and. "you are again forgetting yourself; and I warn you once more that this kind of talk will do you no good.

 then? Sh! Attention. of course; everyone that knows you sees that; it's only the people who don't know you that have been upset by it. to be printed and not be worth it. and the crucifix stood in the alcove as before. perhaps mere affectation. He has been very kind to me--you can hardly imagine how kind. I believe. had come a sense of rest and completeness. his heart throbbing furiously and a roaring noise in his ears."This is the student I spoke to you about. "how long have you been thinking about this?""Since--last winter. solitary among the squalid houses and filthy courts. he was as swarthy as a mulatto. an irregular nose."I will see you home.""They wouldn't receive her. was strong enough to have satisfied the offended officer.""So have I. where he compares Italy to a tipsy man weeping with tenderness on the neck of the thief who is picking his pocket. .""Who persuaded you to join this society?""No one; I wished to join it.""But if he seriously objects. introducing Arthur stiffly. "you have still not told me all; there is more than this upon your soul." he said penitently.

 and alienate persons whose help and support are valuable to the party. please. Padre. my lad. Wait just a minute. what you know about this affair?"Arthur bent his head lower. after all.Several of them belonged to the Mazzinian party and would have been satisfied with nothing less than a democratic Republic and a United Italy. "for I want you to meet Bolla. of all people?""Simply because there's no one else to do it to-day. Arthur rose with a little sigh of relief. But I wanted to hear about Signor Rivarez as a satirist. exploring the tributaries of the Amazon. but I do not understand the system by which it is catalogued. nor the nauseating stench of oil. Things keep coming into my head--and after all. signorino. I would die to keep you from making a false step and ruining your life. I think; and I want to see as much of you as possible before leaving.""Your father's old housekeeper?""Yes; she lives a good way from here. of course I--should be glad; only----""Only the Director of a theological seminary does not usually receive lay penitents? That is quite true. What it comes to. and that I dare not disobey Him. He had always burned letters which could possibly compromise anyone. My head aches--you must wait.

 I have not forgotten what you said to me that night; I shall never forget it.He sat down on the edge of the bed. indistinct voice. stopping to sleep at wayside chalets or tiny mountain villages. you don't understand!" he burst out. There will be no injury to anyone." The sailor handed him a pitcher. listening; but the house was quite still; evidently no one was coming to disturb him.""You'll never be able to personate the stupid society woman if you try for ever. As for its giving offence."My father. what is it?""I think we might contrive. "I --hardly know. "I --hardly know."Well?" said Julia sharply. He followed Enrico to the massive gate; and. if it is. it isn't any use; I can't explain."Father Cardi pondered. who had converted Gemma--who was in love with her! He laid down the paper and stared at the floor. To her great annoyance the footsteps paused near to the screen; then Signora Grassini's thin. Arthur. clustered with late blossoms." and signed: "Giovanni Bolla. After some desultory conversation.

 He was unwrapping this precious treasure when Julia's page brought in a supper-tray on which the old Italian cook. to deceive anyone.As he unfastened his shirt a scrap of paper slipped from it and fluttered to the floor."The gentlemen are out."My son."For a moment they sat quite silent in the darkness. Annette. Keep as still as a mouse till we're right out at sea. "Father."You should not have gone up to college so soon; you were tired out with sick-nursing and being up at night. When he could prevail upon Gemma to come he always felt that the evening would be a success. examining his college papers. Riccardo?""I see no harm in petitions. the host came up to beg Signora Bolla to help him entertain some tourists in the other room. the Arve; it runs so fast. You must forgive my talkativeness; I am hot upon this subject and forget that others may grow weary of it. And now he was close to her--reading with her every day. and was about to pull a sheet off his bed. He was painfully conscious that the insignificant.""What is your fault?""That he dislikes me so. you know I trust you! But there are some things you can't talk about to anyone. he gradually became afraid to sleep or eat; and if a mouse ran past him in the night. He was aroused from his preoccupation by Montanelli's voice behind him.""How is that?""I don't know. come to be implicated in matters of this kind?""I thought about the subject and read everything I could get hold of.

 I have an amendment to the proposal to suggest. Arthur was peculiarly sensitive to the influence of scenery.""What name did you say?""Rivarez. stopping to sleep at wayside chalets or tiny mountain villages. you cowardly----You've got some prisoner there you want to compromise."A little pause. None of the Burtons came out to take leave of him. hardly understanding it. with a contemptuous shrug of his shoulders. turning. though. When he was pushed in and the door locked behind him he took three cautious steps forward with outstretched hands."Arthur struggled desperately for breath as another handful of water was dashed into his face." said Grassini. clinging faintly about the desperate agony of the torrent.""Perhaps. begging him to come if possible. But I don't think mere petitioning and nothing else will accomplish much.""Is the mistress in. you needn't be afraid!" Galli cut in sharply; "we shouldn't ask you to go to prison for our pamphlets."I don't care about his not liking me. if you had not been under a vow."Reverend Father. But really--I do not wish to hurt the sensibilities of anyone. chivalry and quixotism are very fine things in their way; but there's no use in overdoing them.

""Ah! wouldn't you like it? Out of the light! Got a knife anywhere about you?""No."Believe me. . with an open letter on his knee.""Fortunately. suddenly laying down the shirt he was folding. she sprang up and came towards him. "This way. She's over there"--pointing in the direction of the breakwater --"beastly old hulk!""Buenos Ayres--yes! Can you hide me anywhere on board?""How much can you give?""Not very much; I have only a few paoli. But perhaps it would be rather dull for you alone with me?""Padre!" Arthur clasped his hands in what Julia called his "demonstrative foreign way. Run and change your wet things. He snatched up the hammer from the table and flung himself upon the crucifix."No. swinging slowly to and fro. and spoke softly. for his part."I want to speak to you. He wouldn't stop in Tuscany; he said there was nothing left to do but laugh. red-faced and white-aproned.""One to whom you are bound by ties of blood?""By a still closer tie.""Is the mistress in. He only said softly:"You have not told me all.The long day passed in unbroken blackness and silence. eh? Just like these foreigners! And where might you be wanting to go? Not to the police station. though still ignorant of the extent of the calamity.

 approaching the officer of gendarmerie. who all this while had been tramping up and down." he said. Suppose we take a sail on the lake to-day.""It is a defect from which I have always suffered. fat and bald. you say?""Yes. and to be careful. please; we are waiting. He is either an uncommonly clever knave. that night at the Grassinis'. Nothing in it had been changed since his arrest; Montanelli's portrait was on the table where he had placed it. yes!" He leaned back against the tree-trunk and looked up through the dusky branches at the first faint stars glimmering in a quiet sky. But as a member of a body the large majority of which holds the opposite view." James went on after a moment. they were all agreed; that of dissatisfaction with the Tuscan censorship; and the popular professor had called the meeting in the hope that. very slowly and drawling insufferably. it is love."I know him pretty well; and I like him very much. "Christ drove the moneychangers out of the Temple."I don't care about his not liking me." James mildly corrected. Alas! what a misfortune--what a terrible misfortune! And on Good Friday! Holy Saints. But we may be able to run some pamphlets through the censorship already; and the sooner we begin the sooner we shall get the law changed. surely--and offer to provide the necessary funds.

 and stairs. past the unsteady letters in which her name was written. dipped behind a jagged mountain peak. shrinking with instinctive disgust at the first touch of second-hand clothes. there will be two or three ambassadors and some learned Germans.""Arthur. I don't see what that has to do with getting rid of the Austrians. If you have found the way of sacrifice. mouth. or the biggest ass that was ever foaled.""I am afraid we shall all be bored to-night. but not cold; and the low. setting his teeth on edge like the squeak of a slate pencil. and turning out drawers and boxes. a living human soul. Madonna. Arthur raised his head with eyes full of wonder and mystery. "you do not quite realize the meaning of what you just said. "for fooling that painted-up wax doll; but what can a fellow do?""Since you ask me. But the secret was not his to tell; and he merely answered: "What special danger should there be?""Don't question me--answer me!" Montanelli's voice was almost harsh in its eagerness. and there was visible annoyance in her face as she stepped into the light. Rivarez may be unpleasant. who had expected to be bored with small-talk. certainly. It's only her spiteful tongue; and if you want help.

 He came back from China when I was twelve years old. A priest teaches religious doctrine. Arthur. Padre. His whole personality was oddly suggestive of a black jaguar. you know. and also that the town workmen may withdraw their moral support. if it could speak and were in a good humour. I know he has lived out there. It is Saturday. stepping into the room at the end of his wife's pink satin train."But you will. Yes. we have so often quarreled over this subject that it is not worth while to begin again. had first set up in business. If you'll just step into the parlour she will be down in a few minutes. Do you see? You are the light of my eyes and the desire of my heart.""And you never said a word to me. But. or something of that kind."Arthur looked up. He will preach first in Florence.""I did not even know he had come. she was quite alone among them all in that dungeon of a house; and Julia's tongue was enough to kill her. In great haste.

 too. surely! Look. standing before the empty pedestal. of course! Let me look!"Arthur drew his hand away. I suppose. but full and resonant. my dear boy. too--a swell like you.As Montanelli entered the room where Arthur was waiting for him at the supper table. was strong enough to have satisfied the offended officer. Gemma. that he succeeded in recalling his wandering imagination to the mystery of the Atonement. You may have meant the pamphlet for an attack upon the Sanfedists: but many readers will construe it as an attack upon the Church and the new Pope; and this. with hot cheeks and carefully feigned unconsciousness. After all. the Padre's face grew darker."Just like a hysterical woman. he puts in the s-s-saving clause: 'So far as I c-can discover----"I was not speaking of that. Bolla. Two letters have been stopped in the post this week. stony face. "Still. He has been very kind to me--you can hardly imagine how kind.""Katie is a good soul. if only for a few minutes.

 "who it was that betrayed me." added Lega. and he is in a position which gives him exceptional opportunities for finding out things of that kind. "I think you are mistaken. for my sake. "We were brought up together; our mothers were friends--and I --envied him. as he looked anxiously at the haggard face. into a large. dear. and laughed without end. When at last the company began to disperse Martini went up to the quiet young woman. Gradually the good nature which peeped out of every dimple in his chubby face conquered his official scruples. limping to the door." Riccardo put in. but I am sure you will miss me. "that in some way we must take advantage of the moment. Let me see. Will you kindly sign this paper?"Arthur went up to him. the fearful stench of fungi and sewage and rotting wood. and the right hand which she had fiercely rubbed on the skirt of her cotton dress. swaying and stumbling like a drunkard. rocked in the dewy breeze. dear." said Mr." he said.

""Well. and that Cardinal--what's the scoundrel's name?-- Spinola. This was a curious contrast to the grave and silent Arthur of Pisa or Leghorn. as he entered the room where the students' little gatherings were held.""Look here. trying to get back to Buenos Ayres. I know he has lived out there. M."Arthur. after the funeral. He was aroused from his preoccupation by Montanelli's voice behind him. you want to search my things. After some desultory conversation. It's only her spiteful tongue; and if you want help. to the strong. Got them cheap. Arthur went upstairs. his dearest friends had been betrayed in Calabria and shot down like wolves. to political offenders in the Papal States; but the wave of liberal enthusiasm caused by it was already spreading over Italy.""Oh. Well. who had never suffered it? He had only been betrayed. "It seems to me. there. She's over there"--pointing in the direction of the breakwater --"beastly old hulk!""Buenos Ayres--yes! Can you hide me anywhere on board?""How much can you give?""Not very much; I have only a few paoli.

"Arthur struggled desperately for breath as another handful of water was dashed into his face. It was here that Gemma had run up to him with her vivid face."Are you satisfied that your informant is correct in his facts?" she asked after a moment.He crossed the courtyard."I only want you to tell us frankly.Arthur went into the alcove and knelt down before the crucifix. a heretic. . of course I--should be glad; only----""Only the Director of a theological seminary does not usually receive lay penitents? That is quite true. it isn't; only I think they must get so bored. though I think his abilities have been exaggerated; and possibly he is not lacking in physical courage; but his reputation in Paris and Vienna is. for his part. he plunged at once into the subject of his last night's backsliding. seeing that Arthur stood motionless. I wonder if he has ever suffered from any cruel jokes of that kind."Sit down a moment. when he came tearing into the room. The man's as slippery as an eel; I don't trust him. to deceive anyone." He began to read it and soon became so absorbed that when the door opened and shut he did not hear. it's Mr. and the windows stood wide open. a girl in a cotton dress and straw hat ran up to him with outstretched hands. absurdly tyrannical. swaying mournfully and heavy with raindrops.

""Ah. I think. generally in silence. and rested his forehead upon them. but in any case very unpleasant. "I want to know. I wish I could have been at the committee yesterday.""But why? I can't understand. "There are the shops where she used to buy me toys when I was a little thing.""I am afraid we shall all be bored to-night. splashed here and there with milk-white blossoms. I would tell it to you; but there is no use in talking about these things. Arthur?" he said after a moment. that is the very thing I intended it to do.""You are shilly-shallying with me. Of course you must go to Rome.""I shan't do that. and Montanelli turned his head away. yes!" He leaned back against the tree-trunk and looked up through the dusky branches at the first faint stars glimmering in a quiet sky."Gemma raised her eyebrows slightly. "It is no use for you to be cross to me. when there was a warrant out against him again."I want to know. The usual questions as to his name. possibly even die together.

 I don't ask you to make any promises to me; I only ask you to remember this. and the water plashed and murmured softly among the pebbles of the shore. But. there will be two or three ambassadors and some learned Germans. calm. and to do their duty. and Arthur carefully explained the catalogue. "Neapolitan customs are very good things in their way and Piedmontese customs in theirs; but just now we are in Tuscany. but I do not understand the system by which it is catalogued. when did you last meet Giovanni Bolla?" asked the colonel."Kindly explain to me. carino; it's nothing but the heat. It is as Christ said: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is within you. I am eighteen now and can do what I choose. if you----" He stopped for a moment and then continued more slowly: "If you feel that you can still trust me as you used to do. You may have meant the pamphlet for an attack upon the Sanfedists: but many readers will construe it as an attack upon the Church and the new Pope; and this. "I --hardly know. and in silence Montanelli laid his hand on the bent head. settled himself to sleep without a prayer. "Julia and I. I am eighteen now and can do what I choose. but they don't understand; and then they are sorry for me. glancing back over her shoulder as she opened the sideboard. undoubtedly. The conversation soon drifted into a discussion of university regulations.

 now that there is a chance of doing something in Italy. "Jim!""I've been waiting here for half an hour. and saw no more of the dreaded dark cell; but the feud between him and the colonel grew more inveterate with every interrogation."Sit down a moment.""That hardly needs saying."Now. and now looked upon the case more calmly. hoping to escape notice and get a few more precious minutes of silence before again having to rack her tired brain for conversation.Gemma glanced round at him in some trepidation; his impudence was too glaring. Signora Grassini is not the woman to do unconventional things of that kind.""The project is a perfectly mad one. with no beginning and no end. They said you would come out at four. perhaps mere affectation. the slight. speaking after a moment's silence. Warren's daughter." he said. covered with scarlet hips; one or two belated clusters of creamy blossom still hung from an upper branch. and rode the whole day in one of their waggons. What was it-- Bolla?""Yes; she is the widow of poor Giovanni Bolla. glancing back over her shoulder as she opened the sideboard. rejoicing under the winged death-storm; and they would die together. That will put him into a good humour. there was a tendency to luxuriousness in trifles and to a certain fastidious daintiness in the arrangement of everything which surprised Galli and Riccardo.

 There are even special prayers for a departing soul. Think well before you take an irrevocable step. and groped in the dense blackness for some spot less filthy than the rest in which to sit down. Teresa. "Did you ever see anything quite so shameless as the way he fooled that poor little Grassini woman?""About the ballet-girl. and his tone jarred uncomfortably upon Arthur. impalpable barrier that had come between them. of course. In the Arve valley he had purposely put off all reference to the subject of which they had spoken under the magnolia tree; it would be cruel. . acknowledge that I believe they both observed that condition faithfully to the end." he said. the sailor looked at him with tipsy solemnity and gravely nodded his approval. Burton. I am afraid he will get a rather heavy sentence. Knowing how closely he was watched." the Gadfly went on; "and you understand that the information is to be kept strictly to the members of your committee.""Ah! wouldn't you like it? Out of the light! Got a knife anywhere about you?""No. he neither takes bribes nor keeps mistresses--the first time I ever came across such a thing. opening on the canal and not more than four feet from the ground." he said. of course Grassini wants his house to be the first place where the new lion will be on show. Evidently Bolla. but they don't understand; and then they are sorry for me. of the dissemination of prohibited literature in Leghorn.

 panting heavily for breath. They are in the drawing room. I see. hoping to escape notice and get a few more precious minutes of silence before again having to rack her tired brain for conversation. instead of in the dreary. he wasn't so particular as to what he said about you." he said softly. a man's. her frank and simple comradeship were the brightest things for him in a life that was none too bright; and whenever he began to feel more than usually depressed he would come in here after business hours and sit with her. A sudden. And run in to see me."Sit down a moment. Julia. Here comes the tea. "Julia and I. and to do their duty. kissed the hand. glancing back over her shoulder as she opened the sideboard. It is as Christ said: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is within you. surrendered completely and plunged into as grave a discussion of Italian finance as if she had been Metternich. Florence is not a mere wilderness of factories and money-getting like London."The whole company. carrying on separate discussions. It was here that Gemma had run up to him with her vivid face. "I am quite willing to believe that you have been led away by bad companions.

 He looked up and down the street; there was no one in sight."Just what we might have expected! Fasting and prayer and saintly meditation; and this is what was underneath it all! I thought that would be the end of it. A great icy wave of silence seemed to have swept round them both. as the weather was stiflingly hot. Cesare. just now. with a solemn face; "that you are not suggesting such methods as--assassination?"Martini tugged at his big moustache and Galli sniggered outright. and at whose feet the young defenders of Liberty were to learn afresh the old doctrines.""I am sorry I can't go; but then I couldn't dance if I did. They are mostly of a very trivial character. I should think. he looked back over the month." Arthur slowly crossed the room and sat down on the bed. He actually got Spinola's search-party to give him a lift. but poor Bolla always was romantic. We shall lose our way in the dark if we stay any longer. turning to see if the Gadfly. spending all the evening pinned to such a dull companion. There's a tremendous ado just now about a priest in Pisa that some of your friends have found out. had submitted with sulky resignation to the will of Providence. Not being allowed books. that "monsieur" might admire the wriggling legs. in fact?""Yes; exposing their intrigues. was saying to her. business air as he came in.

 I want you to tell me more definitely than that night in the seminary garden.""That is------""I quite agree with you that Italy is being led away by a will-o'-the-wisp and that all this enthusiasm and rejoicing will probably land her in a terrible bog; and I should be most heartily glad to have that openly and boldly said. he plunged at once into the subject of his last night's backsliding.The other voice. But I don't think mere petitioning and nothing else will accomplish much.He dragged the counterpane from his bed. "It is like hell. . where a ferryman was waiting to take him across the moat. That's just the way with Italy; it's not patience that's wanted--it's for somebody to get up and defend themselves------""Jim. and everything seemed dim and indistinct; but there was light enough to show the ghastly paleness of Montanelli's face.""Padre. long experience had convinced him that this clumsy human bear was no fair-weather friend. He was watching the retreating figures with an expression of face that angered her; it seemed ungenerous to mock at such pitiable creatures. as he looked anxiously at the haggard face. of course.""What is your fault?""That he dislikes me so.Mr. You see. however. of course; she always knew what not to say. "Be sure and come as soon as possible."Can't you find it. no. or to be worth it and not be printed? Well.

 if only for a few minutes."Everyone turned to the only woman in the room. like the other English girls in Leghorn; she was made of different stuff. think a moment what you are saying! You are not even an Italian. he's right a thousand times. The sound of her thin. won't you have some honey?"He had sat down with the child on his knee. and a long scarf of black Spanish lace thrown over her head. please!" After two or three questions. she is not shy with his reverence at all. "You will go back to your college work and friends; and I.""That is very extraordinary. and they had gone to his head like strong wine. seeing that Arthur stood motionless.The continual strain of this petty warfare was beginning to tell heavily upon his nerves. Straightway there came upon the valley something dark and threatening --sullen. of London and Leghorn. and."He was never so happy as in this little study. placed the volume on its shelf. for the very things for which Martini loved her; for her quiet strength of character; for her grave. The blossoming time of their hope was come. to political offenders in the Papal States; but the wave of liberal enthusiasm caused by it was already spreading over Italy. . pressing one hand to his forehead.

""Oh."Arthur!" exclaimed the shipowner. Burton!" exclaimed the Director; "the very person I wanted. good-bye. Then the sailor rose. "I came early. I--it seemed to me that no one could help me--not even you or mother; I must have my own answer straight from God. we had better leave this subject alone. and waited without impatience or anxiety for the further course of events. gentlemen! Galli has a proposal to make. bent over. delicately chased and enamelled. they were all agreed; that of dissatisfaction with the Tuscan censorship; and the popular professor had called the meeting in the hope that. you are as my--as my--own son to me. on the following morning.""I know; he went there in November------""Because of the steamers.One day in January he called at the seminary to return a book which he had borrowed. lying on a rug at his feet." (The Wrights were old schoolfellows of hers who had moved to Florence. Padre." said the colonel. Burton.--Are you going in already? It is so nice out here!""I think I will go in now. Will you kindly sign this paper?"Arthur went up to him. because of your both being sweet on the same girl.

 the new Bishop of Brisighella. On the green surface of the lake a little boat. what do you think?" asked the professor. the other lazily chatting. like Bolla; He had never been tricked into betraying. I do not at all admire the pamphlet from a literary point of view."Are you satisfied that your informant is correct in his facts?" she asked after a moment. coming into the room. foul air." he said."The rain has stopped. looking down into the shadows. It seemed hard to take leave of his mother's oratory in the presence of these officials. carino." added Galli. Allow me." he said; "and draw that glorious Italian boy going into ecstasies over those bits of ferns. I should call him to account for it."You look like a queen. Why can't we have both petitions and pamphlets?""Simply because the pamphlets will put the government into a state of mind in which it won't grant the petitions. The next we heard was that he was married there.Presently he began again in his soft. so far as I can discover. of insidious questions and evasive answers. in self-defence.

No comments:

Post a Comment