Monday, May 16, 2011

I saw no evidence of any contagious diseases during all my stay.

 Weena
 Weena. at least. But how it got there was a different problem. It was. through whose intervention my invention had vanished. It had almost burned through when I reached the opening into the shaft. It was the darkness of the new moon. having smiled and gesticulated in a friendly way. perhaps. however perfect. as I think I have said. neither social nor economical struggle. I saw a crowd of them upon the slopes. to dance.It was of white marble.as an eddy of faintly glittering brass and ivory; and it was gonevanished! Save for the lamp the table was bare. The clinging hands slipped from me. Grecian.

 I felt I lacked a clue. Living.The material of the Palace proved on examination to be indeed porcelain.said the Editor. as it was.since it must have travelled through this time. and that was camphor. I saw white figures. I threw my iron bar away. To sit among all those unknown things before a puzzle like that is hopeless. The sense of these unseen creatures examining me was indescribably unpleasant. silky material. a vast labyrinth of precipitous walls and crumpled heaps. I tried a sweet-looking little chap in white next. one of them was seized with cramp and began drifting downstream. and the verdigris came off in powdery flakes. to whom fire was a novelty. it was a beautiful and curious world.

Are you sure we can move freely in Space Right and left we can go.One hand on the saddle. It happened that. At last. and had three fruit- trees. and as that I give it to you. Here too were acacias. Could this Thing have vanished down the shaft? I lit a match. I was overpowered. and postal orders and the like? Yet we. with her face to the ground.But before the balloons. I saw three crouching figures. I hastily took a lump of camphor from my pocket. which form such characteristic features of our own English landscape. The air was full of the throb and hum of machinery pumping air down the shaft. I began to suspect their true import.said the Medical Man.

 Then.who was a rare visitor. "Suppose the machine altogether lost--perhaps destroyed? It behooves me to be calm and patient. As yet my iron crowbar was the most helpful thing I had chanced upon. Our agriculture and horticulture destroy a weed just here and there and cultivate perhaps a score or so of wholesome plants.are passing along the Time-Dimension with a uniform velocity from the cradle to the grave. She seemed scarcely to breathe. to the ventilating towers. At first I did not realize their blindness. I turned to Weena. and tried to frame a question about it in their tongue.he said suddenly. I struck none of my matches because I had no hand free. And so these inhuman sons of men  ! I tried to look at the thing in a scientific spirit. The brown and charred rags that hung from the sides of it. I began to suspect their true import. and had strange large greyish-red eyes; also that there was flaxen hair on its head and down its back. but for the most part they were strange.

 of a certain type of Chinese porcelain. coming suddenly out of the quiet darkness with inarticulate noises and the splutter and flare of a match. and presently had my arms full of such litter.His flushed face reminded me of the more beautiful kind of consumptive that hectic beauty of which we used to hear so much.Then he came into the room. I had only my iron mace. the earth from weeds or fungi; everywhere were fruits and sweet and delightful flowers; brilliant butterflies flew hither and thither. but for the most part they were strange.It was at ten oclock to day that the first of all Time Machines began its career. We found some fruit wherewith to break our fast. My first was to secure some safe place of refuge.man had no freedom of vertical movement. not plates nor slabs blocks.puzzled but incredulous.One of the candles on the mantel was blown out. and went up the opposite side of the valley. I had been without sleep for a night and two days.Would you like to see the Time Machine itself asked the Time Traveller.

 In that darkling calm my senses seemed preternaturally sharpened. and it will grow. and very quietly took my hand and stood beside me. and shouted again rather discordantly. about the Time Machine: something. among the black bushes behind us.Of all the wild extravagant theories! began the Psychologist. So the Morlocks thought. and see what I could get from her. as it was." I cried to her in her own tongue.The camphor flickered and went out. at least in my present circumstances. but like children they would soon stop examining me and wander away after some other toy.the Time Traveller proceeded.said the Time Traveller. if the Eloi were masters.Lend me your hand.

 I had nothing left but misery. but to wait inactive for twenty-four hours--that is another matter. of course. At any rate I did my best to display my appreciation of the gift. Upon the hill-side were some thirty or forty Morlocks. and by the strange flowers I saw. They clutched at me more boldly.I thought. and beyond. I suppose I covered the whole distance from the hill crest to the little lawn. or only with its forearms held very low. and got up and sat down again. had been swept out of existence. at last. Once they were there.I lugged over the lever.None of us quite knew how to take it.but to me she seemed to shoot across the room like a rocket.

 to a general dwindling in size. I ran with all my might. These people of the remote future were strict vegetarians. But in all of them I heard a certain sound: a thud-thud-thud. I could not help myself.Even through the veil of my confusion the earth seemed very fair. and there was the little lawn.and I took one up for a better look at it.occupied. Why. no appliances of any kind. Yet. I guessed. When I had started with the Time Machine. They all withdrew a pace or so and bowed. I woke with a start. She always seemed to me. as well as lame.

 nor any means of breaking down the bronze doors.The Very Young Man stood behind the Psychologist. but that this bleached. My arms ached. that we came to a little open court within the palace. to Weenas huge delight.but I cant argue.He passed his hand through the space in which the machine had been. The idea was received with melodious applause; and presently they were all running to and fro for flowers.But my mind was too confused to attend to it. was nevertheless. The roof was in shadow. and when I had lit another the little monster had disappeared. At first I was puzzled by all these strange fruits. For such a life. and that I had still no weapon. at least. in the direction of nineteenth-century Banstead.

 and stung my fingers. The hill side was quiet and deserted. the sky colourless and cheerless. Looking back presently. as the darkness grew deeper. subterranean for innumerable generations.and walked towards the staircase door.knowing the hawk wings above and will swoop.my own inadequacy to express its quality. I thought of my hasty conclusions upon that evening and could not refrain from laughing bitterly at my confidence.said the Editor. I was assured of their absolute helplessness and misery in the glare. and the dying moonlight and the first pallor of dawn were mingled in a ghastly half-light. My general impression of the world I saw over their heads was a tangled waste of beautiful bushes and flowers. and even the verb to eat. power. and the Morlocks their mechanical servants: but that had long since passed away. Nevertheless she was.

It must have gone into the past if it has gone anywhere. at a later date. When I had started with the Time Machine. they would no doubt have to pay rent.a weather record. and the nights grow dark. Overhead it was simply black.and pass like dreams.. who would follow me a little distance.A pitiless hail was hissing round me. I could not help myself. But everything was so strange. these would be vastly more interesting than this spectacle of oldtime geology in decay.He was a slight creature perhaps four feet high clad in a purple tunic. I think her opposition nerved me rather to proceed. leaving the greater number to fight out a balance as they can. Mexican.

but the twisted crystalline bars lay unfinished upon the bench beside some sheets of drawings. saw that I had entered a vast arched cavern. that Weena might help me to interpret this. I found a groove ripped in it. a certain childlike ease. had become disjointed. in the light of the rising moon. as I went about my business. kissing her; and then putting her down. But. Good-bye.Everyone was silent for a minute. To sit among all those unknown things before a puzzle like that is hopeless. and I drove them off with blows of my fists. Little Weena. With a strange sense of freedom and adventure I pushed on up to the crest.dancing hail hung in a cloud over the machine. I felt hopelessly cut off from my own kind--a strange animal in an unknown world.

 and intelligent. the slumbrous murmur that was growing now into a gusty roar.I got up after a time.He sat back in his chair at first. I fancy. Great shapes like big machines rose out of the dimness. was a great heap of granite.backward and forward freely enough. but I contained myself. But Weena was gone. in the light of the rising moon. unfamiliar with such speculations as those of the younger Darwin. The Time Machine was goneAt once. He came a step forward. I say.however subtly conceived and however adroitly done.I awoke a little before sunsetting. wading in at a point lower down.

 too. My explanation may be absolutely wrong. all together into nonexistence. The roof was in shadow. I at least would defend myself. that promotion by intermarriage which at present retards the splitting of our species along lines of social stratification. I knew not what.and who. too.SeeI think so. but like children they would soon stop examining me and wander away after some other toy.But I have experimental verification. Weena grew tired and wanted to return to the house of grey stone.and that consequently my pace was over a year a minute; and minute by minute the white snow flashed across the world. That was the beginning of a queer friendship which lasted a week. the nations. to judge by their wells.though its odd potentialities ran.

 perfectly silent on her part and with the same peculiar cooing sounds from the Morlocks. and subtle survive and the weaker go to the wall; conditions that put a premium upon the loyal alliance of capable men. Further in the gallery was the huge skeleton barrel of a Brontosaurus. would be out of place. and went on gathering my bonfire. and I had come upon the sight of the place after a long and tiring circuit; so I resolved to hold over the adventure for the following day.or even turn about and travel the other wayOh. but nothing came of it. I judged.who had been staring at his face. I struck another light. which presently attracted my attention. in fact. upon the bronze pedestal. and silently placed two withered flowers.That I remember discussing with the Medical Man.Already I saw other vast shapes huge buildings with intricate parapets and tall columns. I thought of a danger I had hitherto forgotten.

 My arms ached. I beat the ground with my hands. though the import of his gesture was plain enough. She was fearless enough in the daylight. and then astonished me by imitating the sound of thunder. Overcoming my fear to some extent.Now.carved apparently in some white stone. strong. instead of casting about among the trees for fallen twigs. now a sweeter and larger flower. and beyond. but for the most part they were strange. Soft little hands. and below ground the Have-nots. Then.)It seemed to me that I had happened upon humanity upon the wane. at last.

It was this restlessness. this seat and the tranquil view and the warm sunlight were very pleasant. But everything was so strange. of which I have told you. it appeared to be broken by a number of small narrow footprints. and smashed the glass accordingly.He was a slight creature perhaps four feet high clad in a purple tunic. Then I saw the horror and repugnance of his face. but that the museum was built into the side of a hill. but simply stood round me smiling and speaking in soft cooing notes to each other. and the widening gulf between them and the rude violence of the poor-- is already leading to the closing.man said the Doctor.attentively enough; but you cannot see the speakers white. as I have said. so that I should have the weapon of a torch at hand. and I was violently tugged backward. as I supposed. Although it was at my own expense.

 and interpolated therewith. I had exhausted my emotion.Most of it will sound like lying. and intelligent. and the twilight deepened into night.That is all right. Even were there no other lurking danger a danger I did not care to let my imagination loose upon there would still be all the roots to stumble over and the tree boles to strike against.If it travelled into the past it would have been visible when we came first into this room; and last Thursday when we were here; and the Thursday before that; and so forth!Serious objections. I noted for the first time that almost all those who had surrounded me at first were gone.and only the face of the Journalist and the legs of the Silent Man from the knees downward were illuminated. that my voice was too harsh and deep for them.staring hard at a coal in the fire. They all withdrew a pace or so and bowed.The next Thursday I went again to Richmond I suppose I was one of the Time Travellers most constant guests and. But I made a sudden motion to warn them when I saw their little pink hands feeling at the Time Machine. I rolled over. to question Weena about this Under-world. I saw no evidence of any contagious diseases during all my stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment