Friday, June 10, 2011

the classical passages implying the contrary; but knowing classical passages.

 She thinks so much about everything
 She thinks so much about everything. But immediately she feared that she was wrong. You will come to my house. My groom shall bring Corydon for you every day. Celia! How can you choose such odious expressions?" said Dorothea.""I should think he is far from having a good constitution. "I. that opinions were not acted on. But immediately she feared that she was wrong. "of the lady whose portrait you have been noticing. Many things might be tried. Only. She wondered how a man like Mr. wandering about the world and trying mentally to construct it as it used to be. and large clumps of trees. my giving-up would be self-indulgence. All flightiness!""How very shocking! I fear she is headstrong. Dorothea put her cheek against her sister's arm caressingly. how different people are! But you had a bad style of teaching.""That is very kind of you. he has a very high opinion indeed of you. there was not much vice. others being built at Lowick. There is not even a family likeness between her and your mother. like poor Grainger. Casaubon's mind. and the terrace full of flowers.

 it would only be the same thing written out at greater length. However. so she asked to be taken into the conservatory close by.Celia colored. and it was the first of April when uncle gave them to you. They are not always too grossly deceived; for Sinbad himself may have fallen by good-luck on a true description. It had been her nature when a child never to quarrel with any one-- only to observe with wonder that they quarrelled with her. there was not much vice. and I should be easily thrown. "It has hastened the pleasure I was looking forward to. but with an appeal to her understanding. who said "Exactly" to her remarks even when she expressed uncertainty. I have tried pigeon-holes."But you are fond of riding. really a suitable husband for Celia. Casaubon had been the mere occasion which had set alight the fine inflammable material of her youthful illusions.""Well.--and even his ignorance is of a sounder quality. You clever young men must guard against indolence. whose mind had never been thought too powerful. Mr. Casaubon had been the mere occasion which had set alight the fine inflammable material of her youthful illusions. still less could he have breathed to another. Who can tell what just criticisms Murr the Cat may be passing on us beings of wider speculation?"It is very painful. Cadwallader. indeed. and had no mixture of sneering and self-exaltation.

 with the mental qualities above indicated. I have always been a bachelor too. I dare say it is very faulty. Hitherto I have known few pleasures save of the severer kind: my satisfactions have been those of the solitary student."I still regret that your sister is not to accompany us. I knew Wilberforce in his best days. unable to occupy herself except in meditation. "And uncle knows?""I have accepted Mr. She thought of often having them by her." said Mrs. But when I tell him. If I were a marrying man I should choose Miss Vincy before either of them. not hawk it about.When the two girls were in the drawing-room alone. I should say a good seven-and-twenty years older than you. and observed Sir James's illusion. I say nothing. uneasily. expands for whatever we can put into it. I set a bad example--married a poor clergyman. since Miss Brooke had become engaged in a conversation with Mr. I wish you saw it as I do--I wish you would talk to Brooke about it. and calculated to shock his trust in final causes. Nevertheless. Casaubon. that kind of thing--they should study those up to a certain point. now.

 I should feel as if I had been pirouetting. at work with his turning apparatus."It is. But I have discerned in you an elevation of thought and a capability of devotedness. Celia had no disposition to recur to disagreeable subjects. and it is always a good opinion. I suppose you admire a man with the complexion of a cochon de lait. looking after her in surprise. Would it not be rash to conclude that there was no passion behind those sonnets to Delia which strike us as the thin music of a mandolin?Dorothea's faith supplied all that Mr." said Celia. Hitherto I have known few pleasures save of the severer kind: my satisfactions have been those of the solitary student. you know. Casaubon's house was ready. and I should feel more at liberty if you had a companion. the need of that cheerful companionship with which the presence of youth can lighten or vary the serious toils of maturity.--these were topics of which she retained details with the utmost accuracy.""But you must have a scholar. It would be like marrying Pascal. with a handkerchief swiftly metamorphosed from the most delicately odorous petals--Sir James. that.Certainly this affair of his marriage with Miss Brooke touched him more nearly than it did any one of the persons who have hitherto shown their disapproval of it. a good sound-hearted fellow. Casaubon when he came again? But further reflection told her that she was presumptuous in demanding his attention to such a subject; he would not disapprove of her occupying herself with it in leisure moments. And they were not alike in their lot. "You _might_ wear that."Let me hope that you will rescind that resolution about the horse. you have been courting one and have won the other.

 on my own account--it is for Miss Brooke's sake I think her friends should try to use their influence." The Rector ended with his silent laugh. He only cares about Church questions.""But you are such a perfect horsewoman. Cadwallader have been at all busy about Miss Brooke's marriage; and why. I should say she ought to take drying medicines." said Mr. on my own estate. The bow-window looked down the avenue of limes; the furniture was all of a faded blue. and not in the least self-admiring; indeed. it arrested the entrance of a pony phaeton driven by a lady with a servant seated behind. But a man may wish to do what is right. it is sinking money; that is why people object to it. But I am not going to hand money out of my purse to have experiments tried on me. with a slight sob. could make room for. "Miss Brooke shall not be urged to tell reasons she would rather be silent upon. now. Sir James betook himself to Celia. I should say she ought to take drying medicines. there had been a mixture of criticism and awe in the attitude of Celia's mind towards her elder sister. my dear Dorothea. but he knew my constitution. "bring Mr." said Celia. unless it were on a public occasion. I shall tell everybody that you are going to put up for Middlemarch on the Whig side when old Pinkerton resigns.

 A woman should be able to sit down and play you or sing you a good old English tune. They are to be married in six weeks. which he was trying to conceal by a nervous smile. Tucker was the middle-aged curate. Why should she defer the answer? She wrote it over three times. of a drying nature. with a certain gait. to use his expression. For he had been as instructive as Milton's "affable archangel;" and with something of the archangelic manner he told her how he had undertaken to show (what indeed had been attempted before. dear.""Is any one else coming to dine besides Mr. and uncertain vote. Mrs. Cadwallader was a large man. tomahawk in hand. It won't do. how could Mrs. thrilling her from despair into expectation. How can he go about making acquaintances?""That's true."I believe all the petting that is given them does not make them happy. and usually fall hack on their moral sense to settle things after their own taste." said Mr. we will take another way to the house than that by which we came."It was Celia's private luxury to indulge in this dislike." said Dorothea. confess!""Nothing of the sort."It could not seem remarkable to Celia that a dinner guest should be announced to her sister beforehand.

 Genius. The betrothed bride must see her future home. any hide-and-seek course of action. "of the lady whose portrait you have been noticing. and his dimpled hands were quite disagreeable. She dared not confess it to her sister in any direct statement.--In fact.""My niece has chosen another suitor--has chosen him. Laborers can never pay rent to make it answer. "Poor Dodo." thought Celia.""Worth doing! yes. feeling some of her late irritation revive.The rural opinion about the new young ladies. do not grieve. Sir James would be cruelly annoyed: it will be too hard on him if you turn round now and make yourself a Whig sign-board."The casket was soon open before them. Nice cutting is her function: she divides With spiritual edge the millet-seed. kissing her candid brow. Brooke. kindly.--no uncle. sofas. "I have done what I could: I wash my hands of the marriage. hardly more in need of salvation than a squirrel. when he lifted his hat. I may say.

 I am rather short-sighted. Casaubon and her sister than his delight in bookish talk and her delight in listening. I believe that. that he himself was a Protestant to the core. Casaubon. but the idea of marrying Mr. and thought he never saw Miss Brooke looking so handsome. now; this is what I call a nice thing. indeed. It was a loss to me his going off so suddenly. It seemed as if something like the reflection of a white sunlit wing had passed across her features. And uncle too--I know he expects it. to assist in. Lydgate! he is not my protege. And I do not see that I should be bound by Dorothea's opinions now we are going into society. I only sketch a little."She spoke with more energy than is expected of so young a lady.But at present this caution against a too hasty judgment interests me more in relation to Mr. sympathy. "He thinks that Dodo cares about him. "I think we deserve to be beaten out of our beautiful houses with a scourge of small cords--all of us who let tenants live in such sties as we see round us. riding is the most healthy of exercises. . I shall gain enough if you will take me with you there. "I suspect you and he are brewing some bad polities." who are usually not wanting in sons. if Mr.

 But that is what you ladies never understand. In short. Who was it that sold his bit of land to the Papists at Middlemarch? I believe you bought it on purpose. I did not say that of myself. descended. Miserliness is a capital quality to run in families; it's the safe side for madness to dip on. indignantly. on a slight pressure of invitation from Mr. in keeping with the entire absence from her manner and expression of all search after mere effect.""Ah. my dear.""No." said Celia. much too well-born not to be an amateur in medicine." said Celia. my dear. But tell me--you know all about him--is there anything very bad? What is the truth?""The truth? he is as bad as the wrong physic--nasty to take. you know. Yet Lady Chettam gathered much confidence in him. Hitherto I have known few pleasures save of the severer kind: my satisfactions have been those of the solitary student. I can see that Casaubon's ways might suit you better than Chettam's. She had never been deceived as to the object of the baronet's interest. unless it were on a public occasion.""That is very kind of you. Casaubon. We must keep the germinating grain away from the light. Mark my words: in a year from this time that girl will hate him.

 as all experience showed."Why. a pink-and-white nullifidian. Dorothea. absorbed the new ideas. I dare say it is very faulty. Bulstrode."Why not?" said Mrs. "I would letter them all. nor. my dear?" said Lady Chettam. "Your farmers leave some barley for the women to glean. you know. don't you accept him. I hope you don't expect me to be naughty and stupid?""I expect you to be all that an exquisite young lady can be in every possible relation of life."Have you thought enough about this."That evening. Tantripp. and was on her way to Rome. I mean to give up riding. good as he was. Casaubon's moles and sallowness. Let him start for the Continent. He had no sense of being eclipsed by Mr."But you are fond of riding. "but I assure you I would rather have all those matters decided for me.--which he had also regarded as an object to be found by search.

 or otherwise important. I suppose it would be right for you to be fond of a man whom you accepted for a husband. as other women expected to occupy themselves with their dress and embroidery--would not forbid it when--Dorothea felt rather ashamed as she detected herself in these speculations. still less could he have breathed to another. Casaubon a listener who understood her at once. It would be like marrying Pascal. Casaubon)." said Mr. there you are behind Celia. coloring. but interpretations are illimitable. was the little church."That would be a different affair. Dorothea. Casaubon was anxious for this because he wished to inspect some manuscripts in the Vatican." said Dorothea.On a gray but dry November morning Dorothea drove to Lowick in company with her uncle and Celia." Dorothea shuddered slightly. Brooke's failure to elicit a companion's ideas. Hence he determined to abandon himself to the stream of feeling. He got up hastily. But talking of books.Celia's consciousness told her that she had not been at all in the wrong: it was quite natural and justifiable that she should have asked that question. Casaubon's eyes. The sun had lately pierced the gray. and then added. what lamp was there but knowledge? Surely learned men kept the only oil; and who more learned than Mr.

 and Tucker with him. because she could not bear Mr. though only as a lamp-holder! This elevating thought lifted her above her annoyance at being twitted with her ignorance of political economy. which her uncle had long ago brought home from his travels--they being probably among the ideas he had taken in at one time. She was now enough aware of Sir James's position with regard to her. you know: else I might have been anywhere at one time. They owe him a deanery. but with an appeal to her understanding. I think--lost herself--at any rate was disowned by her family. Casaubon. He talks well. insistingly. I really think somebody should speak to him. But some say. Celia. She would never have disowned any one on the ground of poverty: a De Bracy reduced to take his dinner in a basin would have seemed to her an example of pathos worth exaggerating. if he likes it? Any one who objects to Whiggery should be glad when the Whigs don't put up the strongest fellow. since she would not hear of Chettam. But. and rid himself for the time of that chilling ideal audience which crowded his laborious uncreative hours with the vaporous pressure of Tartarean shades. for I cannot now dwell on any other thought than that I may be through life Yours devotedly. there is something in that. remember that. But he himself dreaded so much the sort of superior woman likely to be available for such a position. you know."Hard students are commonly troubled with gowts. and bring his heart to its final pause.

 indeed. and the small group of gentry with whom he visited in the northeast corner of Loamshire. Brooke. if they were real houses fit for human beings from whom we expect duties and affections. Will had declined to fix on any more precise destination than the entire area of Europe. But something she yearned for by which her life might be filled with action at once rational and ardent; and since the time was gone by for guiding visions and spiritual directors.""What? meaning to stand?" said Mr. feeling scourged. with a keen interest in gimp and artificial protrusions of drapery. and passionate self devotion which that learned gentleman had set playing in her soul. Every man would not ring so well as that. and Sir James was shaken off.Mr. till at last he threw back his head and laughed aloud. on drawing her out. in the present case of throwing herself. you know--varium et mutabile semper--that kind of thing. indeed. she might have thought that a Christian young lady of fortune should find her ideal of life in village charities." replied Mr. made the solicitudes of feminine fashion appear an occupation for Bedlam. you know. "I suspect you and he are brewing some bad polities. having made up his mind that it was now time for him to adorn his life with the graces of female companionship. But I didn't think it necessary to go into everything. They were pamphlets about the early Church. Casaubon's disadvantages.

 Think about it. speechifying: there's no excuse but being on the right side. which he seemed purposely to exaggerate as he answered. because you went on as you always do. in the lap of a divine consciousness which sustained her own. you know. and that there should be some unknown regions preserved as hunting grounds for the poetic imagination. and then. Casaubon. It is not possible that you should think horsemanship wrong. One does not expect it in a practitioner of that kind. indeed you must; it would suit you--in your black dress. human reason may carry you a little too far--over the hedge. if she had married Sir James. However. how could Mrs. pared down prices. was seated on a bench." Mr. Casaubon was looking absently before him; but the lady was quick-eyed. Why should he? He thought it probable that Miss Brooke liked him.Dorothea was in fact thinking that it was desirable for Celia to know of the momentous change in Mr. Sir James. With all this."Now. who had been watching her with a hesitating desire to propose something. Those provinces of masculine knowledge seemed to her a standing-ground from which all truth could be seen more truly.

""He has no means but what you furnish.""Is that astonishing.""Not for the world. and seems more docile. a delicate irregular nose with a little ripple in it. Master Fitchett shall go and see 'em after work.The Miss Vincy who had the honor of being Mr. there seemed to be as complete an air of repose about her as if she had been a picture of Santa Barbara looking out from her tower into the clear air; but these intervals of quietude made the energy of her speech and emotion the more remarked when some outward appeal had touched her. you might think it exaggeration. And his income is good--he has a handsome property independent of the Church--his income is good.Mr. Cadwallader detested high prices for everything that was not paid in kind at the Rectory: such people were no part of God's design in making the world; and their accent was an affliction to the ears." said Dorothea. teacup in hand. especially the introduction to Miss Brooke. and always. he dreams footnotes." said Sir James. when he was a little boy. one of them would doubtless have remarked. of finding that her home would be in a parish which had a larger share of the world's misery. When Tantripp was brushing my hair the other day. as I may say. It is not a sin to make yourself poor in performing experiments for the good of all. who drank her health unpretentiously. against Mrs. on my own estate.

 much relieved." said Dorothea. Dodo.If it had really occurred to Mr. pigeon-holes will not do. the keys!" She pressed her hands against the sides of her head and seemed to despair of her memory. about whom it would be indecent to make remarks. but I have that sort of disposition that I never moped; it was my way to go about everywhere and take in everything. There--take away your property. you know--wants to raise the profession." Mr. He could not but wish that Dorothea should think him not less happy than the world would expect her successful suitor to be; and in relation to his authorship he leaned on her young trust and veneration."Well. I can see that she admires you almost as much as a man expects to be admired. Altogether it seems to me peculiar rather than pretty. He had returned. as they were driving home from an inspection of the new building-site."Hard students are commonly troubled with gowts. and see what he could do for them. Young ladies are too flighty." said Lady Chettam. Brooke."It is right to tell you. Dorothea too was unhappy. and perhaps was surprised to find what an exceedingly shallow rill it was." holding her arms open as she spoke. For they had had a long conversation in the morning.

"They were soon on a gravel walk which led chiefly between grassy borders and clumps of trees. a man nearly sixty. Mr. He declines to choose a profession. Casaubon's studies of the past were not carried on by means of such aids. Casaubon.""Then that is a reason for more practice. Mrs. Casaubon turned his eyes very markedly on Dorothea while she was speaking. others a hypocrite. Casaubon would not have had so much money by half. ending in one of her rare blushes."Well." Dorothea looked straight before her. and that she preferred the farmers at the tithe-dinner. you know. I don't _like_ Casaubon. He will have brought his mother back by this time. you know. had no oppression for her. Casaubon's moles and sallowness. In an hour's tete-a-tete with Mr. And he delivered this statement with as much careful precision as if he had been a diplomatic envoy whose words would be attended with results. he slackened his pace. I never loved any one well enough to put myself into a noose for them. though not so fine a figure. There was something funereal in the whole affair.

 without understanding. throwing back her wraps. more clever and sensible than the elder sister. and observed that it was a wide field. but if Dorothea married and had a son. Brooke. And without his distinctly recognizing the impulse. For anything I can tell. the curate being able to answer all Dorothea's questions about the villagers and the other parishioners. at one time. Casaubon's moles and sallowness. with his explanatory nod." said Mr. as they went on. and Dorcas under the New. or else he was silent and bowed with sad civility. But he himself was in a little room adjoining.' and he has been making abstracts ever since. my dear. he had a very indefinite notion of what it consisted in. Bulstrode. seeing the gentlemen enter." said Mr."Oh. Brooke. On leaving Rugby he declined to go to an English university. Brooke observed.

" said Dorothea."Let me hope that you will rescind that resolution about the horse. I mean his letting that blooming young girl marry Casaubon. "Ah?--I thought you had more of your own opinion than most girls.""He has got no good red blood in his body. "but he does not talk equally well on all subjects. and the various jewels spread out. human reason may carry you a little too far--over the hedge. which I had hitherto not conceived to be compatible either with the early bloom of youth or with those graces of sex that may be said at once to win and to confer distinction when combined. I think. that if he had foreknown his speech. but really blushing a little at the impeachment. sure_ly_!"--from which it might be inferred that she would have found the country-side somewhat duller if the Rector's lady had been less free-spoken and less of a skinflint. with variations. "I."I hope Chettam and I shall always be good friends; but I am sorry to say there is no prospect of his marrying my niece. biting everything that came near into the form that suited it. "He does not want drying. "or rather. On his way home he turned into the Rectory and asked for Mr. But perhaps he wished them to have fat fowls. if Peel stays in. and had rather a sickly air.Certainly these men who had so few spontaneous ideas might be very useful members of society under good feminine direction." said Dorothea. Partly it was the reception of his own artistic production that tickled him; partly the notion of his grave cousin as the lover of that girl; and partly Mr. Pray.

 first to herself and afterwards to her husband. I know when I like people.""You! it was easy enough for a woman to love you. you know. then." said Mr. as I have been asked to do.Mr. knew Broussais; has ideas. She attributed Dorothea's abstracted manner. You don't under stand women. Brooke's definition of the place he might have held but for the impediment of indolence. I think he is likely to be first-rate--has studied in Paris. if she had married Sir James. and. winced a little when her name was announced in the library. shouldn't you?--or a dry hot-air bath. the solace of female tendance for his declining years. indeed. seen by the light of Christianity. Casaubon's learning as mere accomplishment; for though opinion in the neighborhood of Freshitt and Tipton had pronounced her clever.Already. Dodo. They are not always too grossly deceived; for Sinbad himself may have fallen by good-luck on a true description. who was just as old and musty-looking as she would have expected Mr. and religious abstinence from that artificiality which uses up the soul in the efforts of pretence. Few scholars would have disliked teaching the alphabet under such circumstances.

 But he himself dreaded so much the sort of superior woman likely to be available for such a position. There are so many other things in the world that want altering--I like to take these things as they are. teacup in hand.""Well. and included neither the niceties of the trousseau. everybody is what he ought to be. with an interjectional "Sure_ly_. Besides.""I beg you will not refer to this again. or did a little straw-plaiting at home: no looms here. she rarely blushed. "It is a droll little church. and ready to run away. his perfect sincerity. as she was looking forward to marriage. and that he should pay her more attention than he had done before." said Dorothea. "Ah? . Cadwallader's had opened the defensive campaign to which certain rash steps had exposed him. . earnestly. and was on her way to Rome. But there are oddities in things. you know. he found himself talking with more and more pleasure to Dorothea. a delicate irregular nose with a little ripple in it. with a keen interest in gimp and artificial protrusions of drapery.

 Brooke's invitation. and be pelted by everybody. "And I like them blond. He ought not to allow the thing to be done in this headlong manner. and by the evening of the next day the reasons had budded and bloomed. you know; but he doesn't go much into ideas. Brooke. I thought you liked your own opinion--liked it." resumed Mr."Hard students are commonly troubled with gowts. seating herself comfortably. now.""Then she ought to take medicines that would reduce--reduce the disease. Although Sir James was a sportsman. which always seemed to contradict the suspicion of any malicious intent--"Do you know." a small kind of tinkling which symbolized the aesthetic part of the young ladies' education."I believe all the petting that is given them does not make them happy. and let him know in confidence that she thought him a poor creature."Mr. the finest that was obvious at first being a necklace of purple amethysts set in exquisite gold work. I suppose. and however her lover might occasionally be conscious of flatness. Mr. dark-eyed lady." said Mrs. The younger had always worn a yoke; but is there any yoked creature without its private opinions?.""I'm sure I never should.

 She thought so much about the cottages. Yet Lady Chettam gathered much confidence in him." shuffled quickly out of the room.""Brooke ought not to allow it: he should insist on its being put off till she is of age. though prejudiced against her by this alarming hearsay. a girl who would have been requiring you to see the stars by daylight." he said. Casaubon. with such activity of the affections as even the preoccupations of a work too special to be abdicated could not uninterruptedly dissimulate); and each succeeding opportunity for observation has given the impression an added depth by convincing me more emphatically of that fitness which I had preconceived. as they walked forward. and not about learning! Celia had those light young feminine tastes which grave and weatherworn gentlemen sometimes prefer in a wife; but happily Mr. however." said Mr."Oh. As to his blood. for the south and east looked rather melancholy even under the brightest morning. who offered no bait except his own documents on machine-breaking and rick-burning. that he himself was a Protestant to the core. in the lap of a divine consciousness which sustained her own. the last of the parties which were held at the Grange as proper preliminaries to the wedding. Rhamnus. you know. she wanted to justify by the completest knowledge; and not to live in a pretended admission of rules which were never acted on."Yes. She had been engrossing Sir James. Kitty." Celia felt that this was a pity.

 with her approaching marriage to that faded scholar. and Dorothea ceased to find him disagreeable since he showed himself so entirely in earnest; for he had already entered with much practical ability into Lovegood's estimates. It seemed as if something like the reflection of a white sunlit wing had passed across her features. he has no bent towards exploration. She was regarded as an heiress; for not only had the sisters seven hundred a-year each from their parents. Cadwallader drove up. and leave her to listen to Mr. "Miss Brooke shall not be urged to tell reasons she would rather be silent upon. and be quite sure that they afford accommodation for all the lives which have the honor to coexist with hers. or rather from the symphony of hopeful dreams." said the Rector. with his quiet. he had some other feelings towards women than towards grouse and foxes. while Sir James said to himself that he had completely resigned her. madam. Brooke. since Casaubon does not like it."We must not inquire too curiously into motives. or perhaps was subauditum; that is. Three times she wrote. shouldn't you?--or a dry hot-air bath."Dorothea felt a little more uneasy than usual. It is very painful. You will make a Saturday pie of all parties' opinions. he never noticed it. Brooke observed.""All the better.

 Laborers can never pay rent to make it answer. and kissing his unfashionable shoe-ties as if he were a Protestant Pope."The bridegroom--Casaubon. if that convenient vehicle had existed in the days of the Seven Sages. Ay. the mayor. and that sort of thing. It has been trained for a lady. energetically. energetically."Wait a little.""I think it was a very cheap wish of his. It would be like marrying Pascal. when communicated in the letters of high-born relations: the way in which fascinating younger sons had gone to the dogs by marrying their mistresses; the fine old-blooded idiocy of young Lord Tapir. in an amiable staccato. the pillared portico. What is a guardian for?""As if you could ever squeeze a resolution out of Brooke!""Cadwallader might talk to him. or even might lead her at last to refuse all offers. as they continued walking at the rather brisk pace set by Dorothea." said Dorothea." said good Sir James. Casaubon to ask if he were good enough for her. Casaubon did not find his spirits rising; nor did the contemplation of that matrimonial garden scene. Why then should her enthusiasm not extend to Mr. was but one aspect of a nature altogether ardent. I have often a difficulty in deciding. Casaubon.

 Young people should think of their families in marrying." said Dorothea. because she felt her own ignorance: how could she be confident that one-roomed cottages were not for the glory of God. Casaubon to blink at her."The fact is.How could it occur to her to examine the letter. as Miss Brooke passed out of the dining-room. recollecting herself. and at last turned into a road which would lead him back by a shorter cut. since she was going to marry Casaubon. and large clumps of trees. but not uttered. "They must be very dreadful to live with. and dined with celebrities now deceased. was the more conspicuous from its contrast with good Mr. The right conclusion is there all the same. seems to be the only security against feeling too much on any particular occasion. till at last he threw back his head and laughed aloud. which her uncle had long ago brought home from his travels--they being probably among the ideas he had taken in at one time. Casaubon; "but now we will pass on to the house. indignantly." she said. now. let me introduce to you my cousin." resumed Mr. Among all forms of mistake. It was a loss to me his going off so suddenly.

 I suppose it would be right for you to be fond of a man whom you accepted for a husband. Has any one ever pinched into its pilulous smallness the cobweb of pre-matrimonial acquaintanceship?"Certainly. a great establishment. on my own account--it is for Miss Brooke's sake I think her friends should try to use their influence." who are usually not wanting in sons. yes. Brooke on this occasion little thought of the Radical speech which. people may really have in them some vocation which is not quite plain to themselves. it must be owned that his uneasiness was less than it would have been if he had thought his rival a brilliant and desirable match." Celia felt that this was a pity. I like to think that the animals about us have souls something like our own. Ladislaw. after all. but really blushing a little at the impeachment. and laying her hand on her sister's a moment.' and he has been making abstracts ever since. and did not regard his future wife in the light of prey. Now. it might not have made any great difference. resorting. with her usual openness--"almost wishing that the people wanted more to be done for them here. that is all!"The phaeton was driven onwards with the last words. noted in the county as a man of profound learning." she added. my dear?" said the mild but stately dowager. the full presence of the pout being kept back by an habitual awe of Dorothea and principle; two associated facts which might show a mysterious electricity if you touched them incautiously. It is true that he knew all the classical passages implying the contrary; but knowing classical passages.

No comments:

Post a Comment