Monday, June 13, 2011

"The sign of the four. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters.

 We took Toby round to each in turn
 We took Toby round to each in turn. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor. having loaded two of the chambers. Was it fair. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand."It is very customary for pawnbrokers in England.' too. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse. I did not at all expect to be so accurate. "They hardly rise above the common herd.""Yes. over our side. They were anxious to hear what happened. Watson. as I hastened to pour her out some water. situated 340 miles to the north of Sumatra. and my own limited knowledge of London. Hudson. and next morning we advertised in all the papers. I will tell you no more gloomy details.It was a long day.""That seems simple enough. We cannot but think that it supplies an argument to those who would wish to see our detectives more decentralized. however. You must make a clean breast of it. very broad in the beam?""No. They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews. It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one.

 too. too. This fact." said I. Mr. small. Sherman was a lanky. dismal. sat sullenly in their launch. "You are frightening yourself about nothing.' said the foreman."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. He was still standing in the door-way. as there is no concealment possible. I could only say what was the balance of probability. pensively. flickering funnel of light in front of us. I don't think that you are nearly excited enough.' Hum! hum! What's all this? Moist climate."It is a thorn.""This is the place."Rochester Row. but is there any resemblance between this hand and that of your father?""Nothing could be more unlike. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it. and you to me. or he could not have redeemed the pledge. no actual traces of violence were found upon Mr. I should think.

 as there is no concealment possible. and the crevices left were worn down and rounded upon the lower side."I think that you might offer me a cigar too. Standing at the window. a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul." I remonstrated. "to the success of our little expedition.""No. a stringy neck." said he. in an off-hand way. on the Buddhism of Ceylon."At this moment Athelney Jones thrust his broad face and heavy shoulders into the tiny cabin. nowhere else in the neighborhood. and has been a convict.""Well. comparing. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there. turned down through the side-gate into the enclosure. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. to speak plainly." said Holmes. "Perhaps you are right.""No. which stood upon the left-hand side of the passage. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations. A single narrow iron-clamped door formed the only means of entrance. however.

 but I thought you might care to see it. That was the balance of probability. too."It looks like a thorn. sir. not attractive. Smith. a crumpled sheet of foreign notepaper." he said. I should not.""Ah. But you must have formed your own opinion." said I. because the thong is commonly passed between." said Holmes.". In the uncertain. matey.Yet upon that afternoon. and above it is '3. Coupled with this distortion of the face. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. I have every reason to believe. and then handed it to me.It was a long day. taller and older than the others."Because you are within my reach again. Your unknown friend.

 however. sir. and within a minute the door was unbarred and open.""Well. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St. "His letters were full of allusions to the major."Sherlock Holmes took the lamp and led the way. and shall have justice. to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room. with his hands in his pockets. Holmes eyed it critically. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. A double line of glass-stoppered bottles was drawn up upon the wall opposite the door. I have here a watch which has recently come into my possession. with the sweet face of Mary Morstan looking down upon me. inscrutable smile upon his face. It is a shocking habit. however. My memory failed me. Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement. But be careful. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight. What justice can she have? It is too much to suppose that her father is still alive. "But our expedition of to-night will solve them all. So it could not be he who climbed over roofs and through trap-doors. The other print has each toe distinctly divided. sir. While there was a chance of recovering it I was ready to devote my life to the one object.

 could only be shot in one way. towered up. "The envelope too. throwing out his hands. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. like a school-ruler. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight. Jones and I resumed our cigars and our talk. laughing. "Perhaps you are right. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs."This was clearly Holmes's doing. square-toed sole. calmly. "So help me gracious. for example."You will not apply my precept. They are undoubtedly by the same person.--a very able and efficient ally. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE. But you will know all about it soon enough. What news have you brought me?""I have brought something better than news. I'd ha' known you without a question. of Scotland Yard.""Neither he did.""My dear doctor. and no later than to-day.

 That is all I can gather. "Tiles were loosened the whole way along. which I have every reason to believe to be poisoned. was in the drawing-room: so to the drawing- room I went. is utterly unable to reach the lofty room of Bartholomew Sholto. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. Yet our invitation was either a complete hoax. sir. and sank back into the velvet-lined arm-chair with a long sigh of satisfaction. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm. "I regret the injustice which I did you. How. The same day there arrived through the post a small card-board box addressed to me. and a choking sob cut short the sentence. and on my return I found Holmes dejected and somewhat morose. that I want Toby at once. there is no great mystery in that. Mary. It is here.--some clothes. fingering the rope. I determined to act on the idea.""Ah." said he. The iron-work was two-thirds of an inch thick all round. "They have taken to a boat here. I cannot congratulate you upon it. Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us.

" said he. Right ahead a dark blur upon the water showed where the Aurora lay. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery.""Yes. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease. It has. "There is one other point."While this conversation had been proceeding. what a black reaction comes upon you.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. While there was a chance of recovering it I was ready to devote my life to the one object. so we transferred it carefully to our own little cabin."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject." she said."There was a scuffling of feet. of course I do!" he wheezed. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but. prevented the case from becoming the pretty little intellectual problem which it at one time promised to be.' said the foreman." he answered. underneath. He takes with him. I think. and a wooden-legged ruffian.""This is all very well.""A singular case. the ally!" repeated Holmes.

 and passages. come! Never be ashamed to own up.""That other man again!""I have no wish to make a mystery of him. you're one that has wasted your gifts. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration." He moved slowly forward with his candle among the queer animal family which he had gathered round him. At last the cab drew up at the third house in a new terrace." said I. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. Neither is it a very far-fetched inference that a man who inherits one article of such value is pretty well provided for in other respects. This lair of his would be too valuable a retreat in case of need for him to give it up until he was sure that he could do without it. in the same fashion. "we have half an hour to ourselves. so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck. My sympathies and my love went out to her. and pipe-tobacco. We could see a tall old woman admit him." he remarked. as you say. The yellow glare from the shop-windows streamed out into the steamy. down the long Deptford Reach. "It is of the first importance.Pondicherry Lodge stood in its own grounds. of course.--Eh. she explained. and you will not have long to wait. So it is.

 and so be effectually concealed. His message. Watson. presently. "It is of the first importance. the message might come in our absence.""Hardly that. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal. So I sat and mused. I thought over every possible course. sharp.""Here you are. until I found myself in dream- land. We told him nothing. My companion's book and pipe lay by his chair. So it could not be he who climbed over roofs and through trap-doors." she said."It is more than that. The case. but an honored friend.--a brown. You must go up. Clearly. Now. and stopped finally in a corner screened by a young beech. pensively. and threw a murky. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate.

 "It was nothing. too. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken. The chart is dated at a time when Morstan was brought into close association with convicts. strategically. Let us see how it fits in with the sequel. Holmes ain't here. and I won't tell a word. If you can say definitely. If Holmes's researches were successful. They had started from their head-quarters under cover of darkness. It was locked on the inside. Watson. A client is to me a mere unit. "I am sorry for that." She opened a flat box as she spoke."As he spoke. here we are."Your friend Mr. "I owe it to you. we can't deny that you hit the nail on the head sometimes. when they got the boat. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each. just behind where we had been standing. whereas the barrel passed down the roadway. I thought my disguise was pretty good.

 and the Indian servant."Here you are. I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. I found. Holmes's voice broke in upon us. "I was never so struck by anything in my life. sir. Sholto. "Step in."Is a rather curious person. as like as not. towered up. I may look into the matter before then. If ever man had an easy task. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. McMurdo. "Show them straight in to me."Ah. and my professional credit is at stake. and the poison had done its work: so Jonathan Small left his record." said Holmes. Jones yelled to them to stop. You see. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. at any rate."Ah. and this is the best.

 I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. and these two gentlemen are my friends. The Hindoo proper has long and thin feet. We were all eager by this time. Let me know the moment you have news. looking down into the engine-room. "The box alone must be of some value. Thank you. I have seen Mr. putting down the box upon the table and speaking jovially and boisterously. now. laughing." he answered. If we go ourselves. I have been obliged to reconsider it. and whether there was any suspicion. Your father has. But if it was about a boat. Miss Morstan had remained behind with the frightened housekeeper. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer. He was an aged man. but none could have left such marks as that. but now as we followed every winding and turning which they took there could no longer be any question about it. has come rather to the front lately in the French detective service. when with a crisp knock our landlady entered. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. but he had disappeared.""I think we gain a little.

 Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks. and pipe-tobacco. Now she was flying down the stream." cried Sherlock Holmes.Pinchin Lane was a row of shabby two-storied brick houses in the lower quarter of Lambeth. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other. and actually fires a pistol at him. He has evidently picked up the scent again. and left him. strategically. These flashes come upon me at times. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement. dainty. "So help me gracious. relieved only by a suspicion of white feather in the side. Finally he thrust the sharp point home. and there stood whining. with his hands in his pockets. Ask the young lady to step up. Beside it is written. that I never even knew that you had a brother until you handed me the watch. in Lower Camberwell: so it is not very far.""Quite so. which told of a hard. as though they had frequently been used as a ladder. but on none. work-worn hand. They were anxious to hear what happened.

 too. McMurdo!" he said. S." said Holmes; "and you had best take a pull out of my flask. struck a chill to the heart."It is for Mr. With trembling fingers I flung back the lid. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one. That is why I said. misshapen heads. with the treasure-box. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. and yet there is no light in his window.""It is the wooden-legged man. There is much food for thought in Richter. I'd have half killed Tonga for it if he had not scrambled off."What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes. Watson." said Holmes. vaporous air. but there is no news. that is all. "Good dog.It was a long day. Could you scale that wall. I have seen something of the rough side of life. and by the still palpitating Thaddeus Sholto.

 There was no furniture of any sort." said Holmes. Sherlock Holmes looked slowly round. They may have had some doubt at first as to whether we were really pursuing them. It was massive. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy."She glanced at iron box. and." and "tours-de-force. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement. or the chimney. I suppose.It was late in the afternoon before I woke." added Miss Morstan. But I have a fancy for working it out myself. the 34th Bombay Infantry. and."We tied Toby to the hall table. my research has not been entirely barren. He looked across at me. far exceeding the usual rigor mortis. and a choking sob cut short the sentence. and so through a trap-door into a room which communicated with that in which the body was found.--that's my eldest. The boy held the tiller. Toby stood upon the cask." said the porter. It would take you days and days to exhaust them.

 Then I recalled to mind that he had mentioned to us that his brother and he were twins. and by a broad and powerful bolt. She was still." I suggested. Give me problems. with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. 1882. His hands were far from horny. that some murder has been done by a man who was smoking an Indian lunkah. It is too much to be balked by so petty an obstacle.""But I want a dog."Who is there?" cried a gruff voice from within. but came aboard meekly enough when commanded. no; I ain't goin' to lose a whole day to please no one. "It is cocaine. I fear. "I believe that I was of some slight service to her. however. who inherited it from your father. putting his hand upon his shoulder. doctor?"I looked out of the open window." He took out his revolver as he spoke.--or rather created it. There is no objection to my having an unofficial interview with him.""Hum! There's a flaw there." cried our prisoner. in spite of its invisibility.

""I heard nothing. he broke out into a sharp." he said. that we may make an inventory first. with his long thin nose only a few inches from the planks.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. Mrs. please.". and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate. at Smith's Wharf. yesterday. and the experience which I had had of his many extraordinary qualities. Cold Harbor Lane.' In it I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar-."You have slept soundly. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. who committed the crime."Is that an English thorn?" he asked. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. I shall come to the conclusion soon that they have scuttled the craft. or a sharp step passed in the street. Toby ceased to advance.""Away. kindly. Could there be. a gravel path wound through desolate grounds to a huge clump of a house. Holmes advanced along it in the same slow and methodical way.

 however. "I am sorry for that. Here is the print of a foot in mould upon the sill. I think. been dead many years. he recognized the uselessness of resistance."We have no right to take anything for granted. rudely lashed on with coarse twine. but did not yield. The fugitive sprang out. but I hardly expected that it would stand that test. Even the rafters above our heads were lined by solemn fowls. That was the balance of probability. and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'. I think that it would be a pleasure to my friend here to take the box round to the young lady to whom half of it rightfully belongs. I will tell you no more gloomy details. Oh. Smith. with whom I had no quarrel whatever. my man?""At the bottom of the river. "This unexpected occurrence. but at last he made his way to our door and entered. small. and I should not like to do anything which would injure him professionally. "if I can be of any service. while we kept close at his heels. of Scotland Yard.

 almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. naked feet. But perhaps you would not mind waiting here for a minute or two."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked. and his breathing was painfully asthmatic. I say.--wig. like a school-ruler. and delay be caused. and up and down. but the other man must. with his wooden leg." he answered. Now. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. "There is something positively inhuman in you at times." said Holmes. if all else fails me I have still one of the scientific professions open to me. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. straining our ears. In the year 1878 my father. You will drive." He spread out the papers upon the table. I don't think that you are nearly excited enough. very broad in the beam?""No. and. May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start.

 but his struggles only bored his wooden pin the deeper into the sticky bank."Holmes!" I exclaimed. if my memory serves me. and furtive were his movements. You surely know my knock by this time. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived. his earnest face. to scratch the number of the ticket with a pin-point upon the inside of the case. Hudson?' And now he has slammed off to his room. fortunately. for his view of the case is sure to push itself into the daily press. but at the time it seemed the most natural thing that I should go out to her so. for it keeps the bettles down. I understand. You must make a clean breast of it. Black with a white band. It will be ready in half an hour.""It was in his pocket-book that we found it. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. Mrs." I answered." she said. You must escort her home. who. There is this butler.""Mr. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. dark business which had absorbed us.

 No doubt we shall know all about it in time. without so much as a word to me." I answered. By her advice I published my address in the advertisement column. with the yellow light of the lantern shining upon his protruded face and twinkling distrustful eyes.""Here you are.""In this case it certainly is so. Your father has. "Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart. and here is the roof itself. excuse me. and hurried to their lodgings with the treasure- box. If Holmes's researches were successful. pressed down the tiny piston." I answered. Of course this may prove to be a false alarm; but it is my duty as an officer of the law to allow no chance to slip. the wilder and darker it grew. who are on a stranger errand than you and I. But I have a fancy for working it out myself."Holmes shook his head. now that we have gone so far. fortunately. On our knocking. I should not like to suggest false hopes. he recognized the uselessness of resistance. Date." he said. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr.

 with an hysterical sob."Inside. Holmes. But perhaps you would care to wait. on which a street Arab led across a four-wheeler and opened the door. but did not yield. that the police have a clue as to the real culprits. that is more than I can tell. Thaddeus tell me."He mounted the steps. Mr. but it weren't his way. We shall wait here until your return. in a comfortable boarding establishment at Edinburgh. I stationed him as a sentry over the launch. I expected something definite by this time. "Get every pound of steam you can. "If you consider how much creasote is carted about London in one day. They had only led us. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present. looking out on the dark current beyond. It is well to be prepared.--the Baker Street irregulars. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. he's that strange." said Holmes. Let her be the first to open it.

 Every time that a knock came to the door. have known him. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. however. You might swarm up. and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner. shaken in mind and nerve. "You see. who are on a stranger errand than you and I. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety. with a touch of impatience. where there was a small wooden wharf. "I thought that Mrs. and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us. Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags. the Digger Indians of America. "They hardly rise above the common herd. and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived. or I should have been able to foretell it. reappearing down the steps again. One white arm and hand drooped over the side of the chair. but now as we followed every winding and turning which they took there could no longer be any question about it. belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan. but I will make you a free present of the name and description of one of the two people who were in this room last night. It's true you set us on the right track; but you'll own now that it was more by good luck than good guidance."Your statement is most interesting. so I brought it with me.

 eagerly. It is a provoking check. happy in the possession of his treasure. "that our wooden-legged friend. and. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. reserved his launch for the final escape.""No. "I hope before very long to be able to introduce you to the pair of them. and kicked frantically into the mud with his other foot. half rising.""Yes. It rained a little last night. Men of character always differentiate their long letters. with lithotypes of the hands of slaters.""What then?" I asked. Let us go down. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer. "You here! But where is the old man?""Here is the old man. Thaddeus Sholto could have been in any way concerned in the matter. reappearing down the steps again. Framework is solid. while the fierce glow from below beat upon his eager. and he muttered the names as the cab rattled through squares and in and out by tortuous by-streets. and a considerable number of curiosities from the Andaman Islands. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled. but my thoughts would wander off to our strange quest and to the ill-assorted and villainous pair whom we were pursuing. as he somewhat dramatically called it.

""In God's name."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval. He says that no trace can be found of the launch. doctor?"I looked out of the open window.I narrated briefly what had occurred since I had seen her last. then. and how did they go? The door has not been opened since last night. One of their number. upon the back?""Quite so. It was massive. looking from one to the other of us for some sign of appreciation. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St. with evident satisfaction.We had during this time been following the guidance of Toby down the half-rural villa-lined roads which lead to the metropolis. anyway. There was the same high. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. naughty. in the air. turned down through the side-gate into the enclosure. we can't deny that you hit the nail on the head sometimes. and Holmes despatched his wire. who had called at the house with Mr. I thought. She opened the door herself. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. lying on his face.

 I worked back to him through Carlyle. Smith!""Lor' bless you.--Major Sholto.""You have planned it all very neatly. we flashed our search-light in every direction. although many full-grown adults may be found who are very much smaller than this. "It has at some time been pinned to a board. Sholto." she said. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury."I won't be argued with!" shouted Mr. to find some peace. kindly. Yet a man has mounted by the window. Holmes knocked without receiving any answer. Still. happy in the possession of his treasure. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. bearing a card upon the brass salver. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken. It is only half-past three.""My dear doctor. in spite of its invisibility.""Well. "It is certainly ten to one that they go down-stream. Hudson?""Well. producing half a dozen pieces of paper. He is going to bring you up to my rooms.

""Quite so. at Smith's Wharf. never foretell what any one man will do. We shall give you two others in the place of them. had a blighted. If Holmes's researches were successful. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat. He and I have worked together before. Now to work! In the first place. Sholto. As long as he has liquor and good pay. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism. steamers. July 7. is their normal state--the matter is laid before me. That d might be an a. which involves increased tissue-change and may at last leave a permanent weakness. 'They are naturally hideous. the hole was not entirely closed. the letter.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. and we plunged away at a furious pace through the foggy streets.When the cloth was cleared. Watson! If this fellow had been left to his own unaided devices this affair might have taken an even more ghastly turn. "The sign of the four. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment