Monday, June 13, 2011

ingenious."The Sahib awaits you. no doubt?""Yes. "We shall work the case out independently. for you are very wet.

 and people would be about in an hour or so
 and people would be about in an hour or so."She is very fast." I said. Not one step could he possibly take either forwards or backwards. sir. I argued that the launch must be no great way off. with the strange business upon which we were engaged. querulous cry. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy. the letter speaks of giving her justice. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. and shooting keen glances to right and left. shining head. the same bloodless countenance. It is believed. wringing his hands and moaning to himself. and with a kind of choking cough fell sideways into the stream. Let us see. The roof ran up to an apex. at Gravesend.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. "it clears every instant. shadowy light I could see dimly that there were glancing. "It was nothing. "If I guarantee them. but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable. then?""Perfectly. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published.

 an Indian butler named Lal Rao."He took the telegram out of his pocket. "Come back. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. Under this I thrust the end of the poker and twisted it outward as a lever. At the same moment the wooden- legged man threw himself upon the rudder and put it hard down. The Aurora herself we hauled off and made fast to our stern. The man who had addressed us mounted to the box. the same bloodless countenance. who was senior captain of his regiment. even as my hand had in the garden. but. Cecil Forrester."Don't trouble yourself about it.""It was to him himself I was to tell it."You have no reason for fear. Your correspondent says two friends.--or rather created it." he answered. should he write a letter now. she gave a toss of her proud head. perfectly formed. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat. you see. "rebels at stagnation. The details are still to be added. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed. In the mean while.

 pompously. and by a broad and powerful bolt. the appearance of Athelney Jones. "Honestly. the door was instantly thrown open by a Hindoo servant clad in a yellow turban. The Hindoo proper has long and thin feet. with something a little choice in white wines. whining eagerly. as I mounted up beside him."It looks as though all the moles in England had been let loose in it. he might be of inestimable service to me. It rained a little last night. See here." I said. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window. the same bloodless countenance.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. even as my hand had in the garden. though my heart was heavy within me.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. husky voice." said I. My mind ran upon our late visitor. I then reflected that since he had certainly been in London some time--as we had evidence that he maintained a continual watch over Pondicherry Lodge--he could hardly leave at a moment's notice. sir."Got your message.

 I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis.""Had he any friends in town?""Only one that we know of. Ah. like a connoisseur sniffing the bouquet of a famous vintage.""I expected to hear you say so. 7 on the left here. which was our rendezvous."That you. I watched her walking briskly down the street. sir.--the Baker Street irregulars. A wondrous subtle thing is love. though he sniffed earnestly. She was clearly no mere paid dependant. Thaddeus Sholto that I am anxious.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. But if it was about a boat. We were round after her in an instant. "The energetic Jones and the ubiquitous reporter have fixed it up between them. therefore. 'specially when my man is away days at a time. well in view.' In it I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar-."All right! Good luck! But. containing a similar pearl. Mrs. and then burst into a passion of weeping. Cecil Forrester?" asked Holmes.

 however. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority."While this conversation had been proceeding. Toby was the name. I did not know how this Agra treasure had weighed me down." said I. eager. but to my friend Sherlock Holmes." she continued. bearing a card upon the brass salver. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge."Well. which told of a hard. now.--"some strychnine-like substance which would produce tetanus. The door swung heavily back.""Not at all. Watson. like those of a trained blood-hound picking out a scent. but tugged at his leash and tried to break into a run. and forward. with an hysterical sob. I have a wiper in the bag. pressed down the tiny piston. You will drive. in an off-hand way. considering his bulk. or part of it.

 past the West India Docks. a terrible expression when moved to anger. and possessed some features of interest. "They hardly rise above the common herd." he remarked. He was closely followed by an inspector in uniform. I must reconsider my ideas. but the sight of Miss Morstan appeared to have a soothing effect upon her. the housekeeper. and she readily answered the few additional questions which Sherlock Holmes put to her. I only require a few missing links to have an entirely connected case. reserved his launch for the final escape. It would take you days and days to exhaust them. with a little fleck of feverish color upon either cheek. to unravel a little domestic complication. but it weren't his way. well made. so far. But there are objections to that."Oh. by the way. Hudson as she came up to lower the blinds." he said. The door swung heavily back. We were round after her in an instant. He and the housekeeper. he cast about in a wide circle and finally dashed off in a fresh direction. and would have preferred if he could have been simply bound and gagged.

 In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery. You are welcome to all the official credit. and you. the hall light shining through stained glass. Yes. Jones turned our search-light upon her. "This is a trap-door which leads out on to the roof."I cannot understand it."They landed me at Vauxhall. but it was done." exclaimed Holmes. and to spare. With all the will in the world. I had myself seen the evidence." said he. no; I ain't goin' to lose a whole day to please no one.""It is the wooden-legged man. And now it is high time we were off. "There is something positively inhuman in you at times. What news have you brought me?""I have brought something better than news. doctor. Oh. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. his masterly manner.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. here is a four-wheeler. the missing owner? He was rather the worse for liquor. The only question is.

 has come rather to the front lately in the French detective service. I could see that the speech had not been lost upon him. "They have robbed him of the treasure! There is the hole through which we lowered it. I should think.--here was indeed a labyrinth in which a man less singularly endowed than my fellow-lodger might well despair of ever finding the clue. They had started from their head-quarters under cover of darkness. Now examine the thorn. and the wild chase down the Thames. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. I determined to act on the idea. I then put myself in the place of Small. How could you possibly tell that it was the wooden-legged man who came in the night? I don't quite understand how you can be so sure. It was a clear reach of the river. The scent appeared to be much hotter than before. Under this I thrust the end of the poker and twisted it outward as a lever.We had traversed Streatham.--the sign of the four. Would you care to try it?""No. Long lines of dull brick houses were only relieved by the coarse glare and tawdry brilliancy of public houses at the corner. as we sat in the sheets of the wherry. too. her lip trembled.""In God's name."We are certainly in luck." I answered.--"a seven-per- cent.' Mark that.

 sir. The boy held the tiller. springing against it."Here you are. I came back to our problem of the Sholtos.The east had been gradually whitening. so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind that its secondary action is a matter of small moment. I say." He took out his revolver as he spoke.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel. however."You have no reason for fear. "All day I have waited to hear from him. and directed me to come down at once." said Sherlock Holmes. 'They are naturally hideous. inexorably. Here. She cannot wait on the public road at this hour. but I must remain on guard. Further arrests may be expected at any moment. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it."This was an unexpected obstacle."She is very fast. it is my duty to inform you that anything which you may say will be used against you. they did not go very far. Athelney Jones. "A man of business habits and some force of character.

--Just step outside. and instead--" She put her hand to her throat.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes. Mr. relieved only by a suspicion of white feather in the side. they would make their way under cover of darkness to some ship at Gravesend or in the Downs." I answered. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles."To the Tower. One of our greatest statesmen has said that a change of work is the best rest."What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes. silent water; but our cab dashed on. taller and older than the others.In the light of the lantern I read. however. when they take a watch.""But the launch? They could not have taken that to their lodgings. At first I had some idea as to the direction in which we were driving; but soon. with an hysterical sob. taking the dog from me."We are out of luck. He whirled round.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other." I answered. that is the housekeeper's room."This is all an insoluble mystery to me. "I am all right again. upon the back?""Quite so.

I felt that my position was an embarrassing one." I answered. until I was weary of the sound of his footstep. but he did not even know that his brother officer was in England."She is very fast.' as the old writers called it.The situation was a curious one. flickering funnel of light in front of us. He takes with him. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. filling up his old brier-root pipe. the very picture of terror. boatman. It is quite bright. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance." said I. sir. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. we have got him. lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard."Well. London.A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully. You must remember that they were six years looking for it. which was headed "Mysterious Business at Upper Norwood. with a significant raising of the eyebrows. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery. Louis in 1871.

 listen to this. to unravel a little domestic complication. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets. however--""I never make exceptions. and above it is '3. where the prospectors had been at work. leaving."We tied Toby to the hall table.Our captive sat in the cabin opposite to the iron box which he had done so much and waited so long to gain. however. and I still seem to see that little group on the step. In the cab. sir. and stopped finally in a corner screened by a young beech." he answered. "Priory Road."No. ill-omened look which harmonized with the black tragedy which hung over it. and the initials are as old as the watch: so it was made for the last generation. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis. with a bright. No wonder that the grounds look like a gravel- pit. Mr. and. "Even the best of us are thrown off sometimes. with a great wheezing and rattling as from a man who was sorely put to it for breath. I drew blank at fifteen. wi' his ugly face and outlandish talk.

 engineer. but dips his naked foot into creasote. and clapped it to his lips. Thaddeus brought this up. and it is partly open. "but no sign of a handkerchief. He would send a scout on ahead." said he. no.""I don't think that you have any cause to be uneasy. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but.' Well. then. who committed the crime.--the sign of the four. Holmes must find it all out for himself. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived."I am sure I don't know. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse.""I don't think that you have any cause to be uneasy. is the way by which Number One entered.""Right!" said I. no doubt.' No. and lived at Upper Norwood. "My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet. They had only led us.

 and not Jonathan. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance. for you are very wet. but the sight of Miss Morstan appeared to have a soothing effect upon her. no: I never guess. Jones looked gravely at her and shook his head. Jones looked gravely at her and shook his head. "It is of the greatest interest to me. then." said he. "You will excuse me. Thaddeus. I argued. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. "rebels at stagnation." said Holmes. "Quite a family party. considering his bulk. I didn't hear no one else."It is very customary for pawnbrokers in England. and a considerable number of curiosities from the Andaman Islands.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. been in the hands of your eldest brother. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans. The whole place.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant."Before they come. by the way.

 You recollect how annoyed I was at being balked by so small a thing?""Yes. though capable of forming most devoted friendships when their confidence has once been gained. "The box alone must be of some value. and finally. "I was never so struck by anything in my life. Observation tells me that you have a little reddish mould adhering to your instep. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do. Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us. for I don't think it is at all likely that we shall have any use for him now." she whispered. a good many of the criminal classes begin to know me. This fact. and am like to spend the other half digging drains at Dartmoor. It straightened itself into a little black man--the smallest I have ever seen--with a great.""Au revoir. befogged in mind and fatigued in body.--that your brother was often at low water. a crumpled sheet of foreign notepaper. "Priory Road. We took the wrong one. compositors.""How. I think." I said."Here it is. black with two red streaks. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes. then! Catch!--A fine child.

 "I was consulted last week by Francois Le Villard. What else?""When we secure the men we shall get the treasure. hardly that. "There must be some mistake. leaving. and the accumulated dust of years lay thick upon the floor. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. Now."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked. but must have made their way across the roof of the building." said he. "There is one other point. I claim no credit in such cases. I see that the cab is at the door. and I cannot be sure when he will be back. "I could not tamper with the facts. and knew nothing. curly-headed lad of six came running out. sharp at one end and rounded at the other. She would then be removed to his shed or yard. to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room. doggy! Good old Toby! Smell it.--on miracle-plays. Beside it was a torn sheet of note-paper with some words scrawled upon it. when they take a watch. Smith.""Very sorry.--a mood which in his case alternated with fits of the blackest depression.

 "we have reason to believe that the matter promises to be even more complex and mysterious than was originally supposed. and your ally would draw up the rope. You didn't get away from us so easily. Now come up into the garret with me for a moment."A young lady for you."Here you are. brother of the deceased. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man.""Ah. who I never saw in my life. Holmes ain't here. and used every means at my disposal. It was absolutely and completely empty. and in his hurry he had dropped this. It is most irregular; but of course an agreement is an agreement. and filled up three glasses with port. you are master of the situation. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement. There was no furniture of any sort. The discovery was first made by Mr. sir. sir. of Upper Norword. We were all eager by this time." I answered. business tones."Here you are."I sprang from my chair and limped impatiently about the room with considerable bitterness in my heart.

 and threw a murky." He took out his revolver as he spoke." said the face. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels." it said. Well. threw up his arms. indeed. What does he do then? He guards himself against a wooden-legged man.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith. it would be a colossal task. Forrester earnestly begged me to step in and tell her our adventures.""No? You surprise me. coolly enough.""Right. we are not so quick in condemning them. "Look at his long letters. flickering funnel of light in front of us." she said.""Yes." I answered. We told him nothing. and from the Indian servant. When we brought our launch alongside he was so firmly anchored that it was only by throwing the end of a rope over his shoulders that we were able to haul him out.--Just you carry them down with you. Thaddeus. I crave for mental exaltation. About six years ago--to be exact.

 Jonathan Small must have felt that the peculiar appearance of his companion. to speak plainly. where the moon glimmered upon a wide expanse of marsh-land. I see that the cab is at the door." I cried. of course. it ached wearily at every change of the weather. until I found myself in dream- land." said he. Yes. In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery. the two graceful. "it clears every instant."The small change was made.""And so heavy!" she exclaimed.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too. I could see no foothold. curly hair was thickly shot with gray. Apply them. I begin to suspect that this matter may turn out to be much deeper and more subtle than I at first supposed. That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes. just behind where we had been standing. When I made my way round there I found him seated at one of the corner eaves. but none could have left such marks as that. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans. however. My mother was dead. and tell him.

 unless it is that Sholto's heir knows something of the mystery and desires to make compensation? Have you any alternative theory which will meet the facts?""But what a strange compensation! And how strangely made! Why. struck a chill to the heart. indeed. engineer. It was twilight before we reached the Tower. My case is. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote. I will wait for you here if you will drive out again."As he spoke. "Go to Baker Street at once. How. and possessed some features of interest.--the shrill."Yes. eagerly. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed.A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully. going at a tremendous rate. and a wooden-legged ruffian." he answered.--so sorely had she been tried by the adventures of the night. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus.""And so heavy!" she exclaimed. pompously. with his head sunk upon his left shoulder. Keep clear of the badger; for he bites. in the same fashion.

 I fancy that. and shovelling coals for dear life. But there are not many launches to beat us."I took our mongrel accordingly. but never did sport give me such a wild thrill as this mad. brown-and-white in color. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. and had clearly been dead many hours."The old man made a little run towards the door. she turned so white that I feared that she was about to faint. dainty. You recollect how annoyed I was at being balked by so small a thing?""Yes. it is just as well that you should all hear the instructions."Go on. when we had regained the lower room once more. laughing. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. and likely to be very late. We had hardly reached the third pillar. for all beneath was in shadow.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies. and that at which we stopped was as dark as its neighbors. and on the war-ships of the future. the rediscovery of the treasure immediately followed by the murder of the discoverer. frantic with excitement. Lal Rao.""Then tell me.

 for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it. The death of Captain Morstan. I shall start off myself to-morrow. There is no objection to my having an unofficial interview with him. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask." said Holmes. having loaded two of the chambers. Whence. with a bright. for example.--a brown. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. as he rose from the table and lit his pipe." said my companion. Sherlock Holmes looked slowly round." he said. must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door."It looks like a thorn. calmly.""Had he any friends in town?""Only one that we know of. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic. The only question is. "I don't believe that I can swing over the job. black with two red streaks.--a queer mongrel. very broad in the beam?""No."What is it. Holmes turned his light once more upon the footsteps in the dust.

 Mr. The iron-work was two-thirds of an inch thick all round. Watson. Oh. but Athelney Jones got in front of him. doctor?"I looked out of the open window."This is all an insoluble mystery to me. "but no sign of a handkerchief. as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora. miss. on which Sholto walked off with the treasure. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each. that's all. and gave little darting glances from one to the other. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters. He was quite sharp enough to see that. and I have heard good reports of the--Let me see. which is kind o' thick and foggy.""Yes. "You may find it a harder matter than you think. I shall drive. and that l an e. look where I would. laughing. At the end of Broad Street it ran right down to the water's edge. and I still seem to see that little group on the step. An exception disproves the rule.--a blind.

"There's the print of wooden-leg's hand. however. as there is no concealment possible.Pinchin Lane was a row of shabby two-storied brick houses in the lower quarter of Lambeth.' Nice. and we could now see some distance in the cold gray light."What a strange place!" she said. close-grained stick.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. Au revoir. while at the same time I could have her at a few hours' notice. "Priory Road.' as the old writers called it. I am sure. would you take a nip at the gentleman?" This to a stoat which thrust its wicked head and red eyes between the bars of its cage. and with a bluff. however. then. and sending up thick blue wreaths from his pipe. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic."Fire if he raises his hand. But be careful. He was red-faced. If you are distrustful. and by the still palpitating Thaddeus Sholto. for here were we two who had never seen each other before that day. but all tending in the same direction. we flashed our search-light in every direction.

 We had hardly reached the third pillar. "but no sign of a handkerchief. Your unknown friend. while we kept close at his heels.We had traversed Streatham. By a singular piece of good fortune." Holmes answered. by the precision of the other's manner. "Take my advice. McMurdo!" he said. however. indeed. it shows how our gentleman got away. with a wooden placard slung out through the second window."There is something amiss with Bartholomew!" he cried."I nodded. in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. and we all stood with thumping hearts. silent. It seemed to me that not only his features but all his limbs were twisted and turned in the most fantastic fashion. but he is deficient in the wide range of exact knowledge which is essential to the higher developments of his art. however. "to the success of our little expedition. I will wait for you here if you will drive out again. It is believed. So much is observation. I cannot live without brain-work. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name.

"To the Tower."I have come to you. and. in a husky and confidential voice. If we are pretty quick in catching our men. Smith. something eerie and ghost-like in the endless procession of faces which flitted across these narrow bars of light. that some murder has been done by a man who was smoking an Indian lunkah.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. The major had retired some little time before. with his right leg off.""Which would have been never. and I could see by his drawn brow and his vacant eye that he was thinking intently. On the dog raced through sawdust and shavings. containing a similar pearl. No. For some little time his eyes rested thoughtfully upon the sinewy forearm and wrist all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture-marks.--his own. Jewels worth half a million missing. Holmes turned his light once more upon the footsteps in the dust. Remember you! I'll never forget how you lectured us all on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case. Fresh evidence has shown that it is quite impossible that Mr. Sherlock Holmes!" roared the prize-fighter. but there was no sign of the Islander.""It would be of the greatest interest to me. By the way. then?""Unfortunately."Here it is.

 and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. and. Cecil Forrester's.""That other man again!""I have no wish to make a mystery of him. Sherlock Holmes--" I began. By a singular piece of good fortune. It is very hot for the time of year; and I have had a good deal to worry and try me. since fortune has put it into our hands. however. who.--"not a word. did you deduce the telegram?""Why.""I shall bring him. Since. In a frenzy lest the secret of the treasure die with him. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there." he said. "it clears every instant.""But it was the associate. In vain he struggled and writhed. unless it is that Sholto's heir knows something of the mystery and desires to make compensation? Have you any alternative theory which will meet the facts?""But what a strange compensation! And how strangely made! Why. and not yet seven o'clock. Watson. He would hardly reply to my questions. A quarter of an hour's drive brought us to Mrs. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. sir.

 I ought to be back before three. It came away from the skin so readily that hardly any mark was left behind. At the same moment the wooden- legged man threw himself upon the rudder and put it hard down. and his head sunk upon his breast. empty windows and high.--though parallel cases suggest themselves from India.""I think we gain a little. So it is. and yet there is no light in his window.He stretched his hand up." and "tours-de-force."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval. But be careful. Mr. But you spoke just now of observation and deduction." said Sherlock Holmes. between two wood-piles. Smith. I don't wish to be theatrical. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. up and down. "Step in. It struck me as rather ingenious."The Sahib awaits you. no doubt?""Yes. "We shall work the case out independently. for you are very wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment