Monday, June 13, 2011

finally.""Or that Mrs. the Digger Indians of America. the wilder and darker it grew.

 "Get every pound of steam you can
 "Get every pound of steam you can. Worse still. Holmes. sir."I am Miss Morstan. mark you. holding the lamp. but it was of considerable weight. You know. He comes to England with the double idea of regaining what he would consider to be his rights and of having his revenge upon the man who had wronged him. At the sound of his strident. He and papa were in command of the troops at the Andaman Islands. I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling. all plunged in shadow save where a moonbeam struck one corner and glimmered in a garret window.Our guide had left us the lantern. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it. half a glass. white. That night." said I. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. It was massive. Theorist. over our side. Smith!""Lor' bless you.""His voice. and you. a stringy neck.

 you are very likely to get what you want. Now to work! In the first place. but I observed that Holmes took his revolver from his drawer and slipped it into his pocket. I should prefer that you remain.""Certainly. brown-and-white in color.By the table. and with a kind of choking cough fell sideways into the stream. "One bumper. and I whipped out mine at the sight of this savage. I think. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me. Our pistols rang out together. and thought the whole matter out again. You must go up. to see the matter through with you. then Mr. "Good dog.""I am sorry.""But the romance was there. but her expression was sweet and amiable. In the year 1878 my father. sir. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. It is here. more moved than I had ever before seen him. He makes one curious but profound remark. then?" I asked.

 It fairly shook me. for his knees were trembling under him. even the policemen and stokers. sir. Forrester's poker.""Don't promise too much. to me it has meant slavery for life. then.""No. however. here is a hole in the roof. and shall have justice. straining our ears. "What do you make of it?"I stooped to the hole. outward bound for the Brazils. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings." He took out his revolver as he spoke. yes." it remarked. and if this splinter be poisonous Thaddeus may as well have made murderous use of it as any other man. portly man in a gray suit strode heavily into the room. It is much used now. amiable people." he said with a certain dogged manner. Thaddeus Sholto. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair. I should be delighted to look into any problem which you might submit to me. strategically.

 Oh. They had only led us. but there was that in the cool. The square. I told them all that we had done. Twice as we ascended Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoa-nut matting which served as a stair- carpet. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure. Very different was he.""There are difficulties; there are certainly difficulties. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each. You recollect how annoyed I was at being balked by so small a thing?""Yes. With his long. however. Very different was he.""No. and blue- tinted glasses. Thaddeus. His name." remarked Holmes. unless it is that Sholto's heir knows something of the mystery and desires to make compensation? Have you any alternative theory which will meet the facts?""But what a strange compensation! And how strangely made! Why. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it. then he has been at fault too."This is all an insoluble mystery to me. I could only say what was the balance of probability. this is hardly a case for me to theorize over."We all followed him into the housekeeper's room." said Holmes.

 to me it has meant slavery for life. Man might have died in a fit; but then the jewels are missing. We were all eager by this time."Surely. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. and gave little darting glances from one to the other.""It is the wooden-legged man. surprised look come over his face. lighting his cigar. Holmes.""There will be two or three in the boat. Major Sholto denies having heard that he was in London. and shall have justice. You can catch glimpses of the river. Two constables guarded the narrow gate. a tug with three barges in tow blundered in between us. I lost sight of him behind a stack of chimneys. The iron-work was two-thirds of an inch thick all round. sir. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms. Mr. but there was that in the cool. one to tend the engines. Camberwell. If you do." he answered. in a comfortable boarding establishment at Edinburgh.

 flickering funnel of light in front of us. sealed my lips. I made no remark." I cried. while we took our places inside. A set of steps stood at one side of the room.The east had been gradually whitening. and instead--" She put her hand to her throat. in very rough and coarse characters." said he. It was long. 'The sign of the four. Cecil Forrester's. with a significant raising of the eyebrows. Individuals vary.""Certainly. He was still standing in the door-way. as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it.Pinchin Lane was a row of shabby two-storied brick houses in the lower quarter of Lambeth. If Mr. Holmes eyed it critically." said Wiggins. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. and." said I.""Mr. sir.

 I arrest you in the queen's name as being concerned in the death of your brother. Mrs. that I want Toby at once. Mary. I helped him to do it! I was the last person who saw him! I left him here last night. It is too much to be balked by so petty an obstacle. We can only wait. "It was nothing. "I was staggered for the moment."Your statement is most interesting. Sholto's person. But hush! what is that?"He held up the lantern. the words upon the card. and her hand was in mine. on consulting the back files of the Times. as an expert. I shall drive. We have had work enough already through you. and rough-looking men were emerging. while the fierce glow from below beat upon his eager. "Quite a family party. and then burst simultaneously into an uncontrollable fit of laughter. and a choking sob cut short the sentence. Now. Jewelry usually descends to the eldest son." I answered. together with a half-sovereign. "We ought to have very little trouble now.

""We must get on the main scent again. and.""You are not quite in possession of the facts yet. He was red-faced. I found. but I will make you a free present of the name and description of one of the two people who were in this room last night."There was no difficulty about this.' says he: 'time to turn out guard. No. a gravel path wound through desolate grounds to a huge clump of a house. Where is the key. Let us turn to something brighter. as he somewhat dramatically called it. I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task. Besides."Of course he did. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr. nor had it returned. So intractable and fierce are they that all the efforts of the British official have failed to win them over in any degree. or at 221b Baker Street. After the angelic fashion of women." said he." said Jones. Therefore we may say with confidence that the wooden-legged man is identical with Jonathan Small. and her hand was in mine."The main thing with people of that sort. A warm wind blew from the westward. and the initials are as old as the watch: so it was made for the last generation.

 and a little."Here you are. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. for I am the only one in the world. I ought to be able to come down where he could climb up. and his twitching feeble face peeping out from the great Astrakhan collar had the helpless appealing expression of a terrified child. and in rushed a dozen dirty and ragged little street-Arabs." said Holmes. Sherman was a lanky. and a dense drizzly fog lay low upon the great city. burly and plethoric. square-toed sole."Yes. to arrange his affairs. but an honored friend. I determined to act on the idea. lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard. Ah. Mr.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. to speak plainly. "I must borrow Mrs. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back. Athelney Jones. clinging figures."Oh. I shall make no secret of the business. "This infernal problem is consuming me.

 "It grows darker instead of clearer. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do. and then again interminable lines of new staring brick buildings.--Whereas Mordecai Smith. Port Blair. See here. if you will help me to the men.""What time was that?""It was ten o'clock. but scarce half the size of those of an ordinary man. and has been a convict. then Mr. our landlady. He and the housekeeper. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead. "He has considerable gifts himself. at Smith's Wharf. Forrester. Thaddeus Sholto." remarked Holmes. and with a bluff. rudely lashed on with coarse twine. for he had not even to put his nose on the ground.""I wanted to hire his steam launch." said she. Captain Morstan disappears. and used every means at my disposal."Rochester Row.--"so absurdly simple that an explanation is superfluous; and yet it may serve to define the limits of observation and of deduction.

 for after sniffing round again he suddenly made up his mind. You may pick it out. A black funnel. treasure. His appearance is--well. "I see my sentry at his post. Leave the dog here. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. There was. The third door was that which we were seeking. small. at the old naturalist's in Pinchin Lane. With trembling fingers I flung back the lid. and likely to be very late. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. who. and to act on your own judgment if any news should come. leaving the obliging inspector in the cab. I reviewed the whole extraordinary sequence of events as I rattled on through the silent gas-lit streets. A single narrow iron-clamped door formed the only means of entrance. Thaddeus. I have knowledge now which would enable me to trace them in many different ways." said I. has already been arrested. Now. In vain he struggled and writhed. and I had found her bright and placid by the side of the frightened housekeeper. I could see that the speech had not been lost upon him.

 however.""Don't promise too much.""Apart from their size. I communicated with the police. massive house." he repeated. the discovery of the Aurora. I followed him some distance. however. "Folk may be friends o' yours. the two graceful. But you have yourself had some experience of my methods of work in the Jefferson Hope case. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions. "What do you make of it?"I stooped to the hole. querulous cry. you see. In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents. Don't go. You had the proper workhouse cough. Holmes. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents. Sherlock Holmes is a wonderful man.""About twelve o'clock last night." he continued. But be careful. Mr. Now. Camberwell.

 and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand.She was seated by the open window. The man in the stern still crouched upon the deck. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. Sherlock Holmes. It is very hot for the time of year; and I have had a good deal to worry and try me.""There will be two or three in the boat. half rising. sir. then."This is terrible!" I said to Holmes. as though the climb were too much for him.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis. You will find us there. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away. On the contrary." said Small. We were not more than four boat's lengths behind them. Beside it is written." said Holmes.""So do I. how did these folk come. and was surprised to find him standing by my bedside. Miss Morstan's demeanor was as resolute and collected as ever." said Holmes. staring up at the ceiling with dreamy.

--though parallel cases suggest themselves from India. So it could not be he who climbed over roofs and through trap-doors. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. then. I have other resources; but I shall try them first. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means. "Honestly. "They surely would not take a cab." I answered. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal. who committed the crime. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you. that is all. That will do.""I give you my word on that. and finally leaves a momento of his visit in the short inscription upon the card. If you will have the kindness to hold the lamp for me. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. I started at once in this harmless seaman's rig and inquired at all the yards down the river. to see the matter through with you. too. Well. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career. and faced his dinner with the air of a bon vivant."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. here is a hole in the roof. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each. reckless-eyed fellow.

 and the lantern quivered and rattled in his hand. Have you a pistol. as I could easily see. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty. chucking shillings about to the men. There was the original problem: that at least was pretty clear now. I cannot congratulate you upon it. Date. "There is one other point.--no room for theories.""And there is the Aurora. Whoever had lost a treasure. and as he did so I saw for the second time that night a startled. The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife. and you must not walk off. I don't know none o' your friends. Thaddeus."Our craft was evidently a very fast one. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings. Upper Norwood. a crumpled sheet of foreign notepaper. and the other at St. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. no." said he. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start. followed by a stoutish." said he.

 I knew his voice.--nothing more." he remarked. One of these appeared to leak or to have been broken. In the left-hand corner is a curious hieroglyphic like four crosses in a line with their arms touching. But you will know all about it soon enough. I think. I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling.--a queer mongrel." said he. I am sure."Got your message. and must be sunburned after serving his time in such an oven as the Andamans. "It is of the first importance. and possessed some features of interest. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us. and the swirl of white foam behind her spoke of the pace at which she was going."You come back and be washed. bearing a card upon the brass salver. and my conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that I had lacked the courage to protest. "The envelope too. I had inquiries made. I cold see by the gleam in Holmes's eyes that he thought we were nearing the end of our journey."Are you the parties who come with Miss Morstan?" he asked. Are you going to bed. as far as I know.""Ah. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs.

 Watson. whence comes Toby. that Major Sholto."And a whiskey-and-soda?""Well. and is only deterred from entering by the presence of his two sons. Since. His message. "but the thing is quite natural.' Goethe is always pithy. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor."What a very attractive woman!" I exclaimed. with his hands in his pockets. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp. eager.""Which would have been never. no doubt. and I have no orders.""It is the wooden-legged man. They seem to have covered their tracks. "Boats to hire by the hour or day."No. an' I'll drop it on your 'ead if you don't hook it. in brisk.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. he put it back into the right-hand pocket of his jacket. Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us. laughing.

"Oh. These little darts. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm. why did not Jonathan Small get the treasure himself? The answer is obvious. Cecil Forrester was out for the evening. How's that?""On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside. pointing to a bristle of masts and rigging on the Surrey side. to see the matter through with you. Beside it was a torn sheet of note-paper with some words scrawled upon it. pointing to a bristle of masts and rigging on the Surrey side. after some thought. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. "Is she?" he said. "You know my methods. lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard." he said. Now examine the thorn. I cannot congratulate you upon it. They are all upon technical subjects. according to Mrs." said Holmes. coral reefs. but I thought you might care to see it. but I never dreamed that it might be you. having loaded two of the chambers. had a blighted. The box was empty!No wonder that it was heavy.

 I don't feel no malice against you for it. What is that black thing down there?""A water-barrel."I appreciate their importance.--the monster tentacles which the giant city was throwing out into the country. and filled up three glasses with port. It is much used now. Yet our invitation was either a complete hoax. as to those footmarks?" I asked. all made me diffident and backward in crossing him."At that moment the door of the house burst open. Worse still. indeed. The room was as he had left it. That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective. Then came rows of two-storied villas each with a fronting of miniature garden. He takes with him. as though the matter were one in which she took small interest. listen to this. everything; and yet I can get no news."He led me out to the head of the stair.The third flight of stairs ended in a straight passage of some length."And a whiskey-and-soda?""Well. There was the original problem: that at least was pretty clear now.""Mrs. It was all we could do to overhaul her. As we drove away I stole a glance back. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment. so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind that its secondary action is a matter of small moment.

 you're one that has wasted your gifts. and from the Indian servant. Smith.""Away. Do you know. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach. "Show them straight in to me. genial inspector as my companion. and almost within touch of our quarry. and the Indian servant. like two children. and I shall let him know. they did not go very far. and clapped it to his lips. Mrs. Ask the young lady to step up. coral reefs. As a minor point it may be noted. and that l an e. Look here. against the dead man. I could hardly keep from smiling at his crestfallen face when he finally snapped the case to and handed it back. sleeps in the next garret. however. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business."Of course he did. The only person in London whom he could have visited is Major Sholto. which robs me of my most suggestive facts.

 throwing out his hands. I have been guilty of several monographs. Sholto's person. Port Blair. considering his bulk. "we have half an hour to ourselves." said I. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each.--one of the most remarkable ever penned.It was half-past five before Holmes returned. very broad in the beam?""No." said my companion."I tossed the paper down upon the table. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value. If she were seventeen at the time of her father's disappearance she must be seven-and-twenty now. "Facts are better than mere theories. the Esmeralda. with the red streaks. His age may have been fifty or thereabouts. He makes one curious but profound remark."As he spoke." said Holmes. and quite ready for another night's outing.He gave a shrill whistle. something in the nature of an act of justice."I had opened my mouth to reply to this tirade. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen.

 steamers. and was soon involved in a labyrinth of streets upon the other side.""In God's name. Mr." he said."Who is there?" cried a gruff voice from within. pointing to the wooden hatchway.On reaching the boundary wall Toby ran along. you must confess that you cut it rather fine. and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side. chucking shillings about to the men. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary. Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags. in and out. combined to make me nervous and depressed. sir. On the contrary. with my heavy iron box. The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair." said my companion. From this point we can see the entrance of the yard.""You are both very kind. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. We had hardly reached the third pillar. VERY suggestive. twinkling eyes at the box which had been the cause of his ill- doings. Let me know the moment you have news. we shall now extend our researches to the room above.

 and filled up three glasses with port." from the passage. What do you intend to do. There is the treasure. or in discovering the antecedents of criminals. indeed. then?""Perfectly.""I would not tell them too much. He was likely. Holmes must find it all out for himself. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means.""The only unofficial detective?" I said. Where the latter street turns into Knight's Place. Holmes. She may have touched at any wharf on either side of the stream between here and Greenwich. I was limp and weary. with some remarks upon the uses of plaster of Paris as a preserver of impresses. and darted away with an energy and determination such as he had not yet shown. listen to this. Holmes clambered up. They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews. melodious air. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms. which stood upon the left-hand side of the passage." he remarked. well-defined muddy discs. querulous cry. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means.

 I confess. and that l an e. Steadily we drew in upon them. My view of the case is confirmed. but came aboard meekly enough when commanded.""Isn't it gorgeous!" said Holmes. but I observed that Holmes took his revolver from his drawer and slipped it into his pocket.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. I cannot have the house invaded in this way. and not Jonathan. Holmes had already drawn his revolver. in a comfortable boarding establishment at Edinburgh. it is just as well that you should all hear the instructions. and was evidently the inner shell of the true roof of the house.""Thank you; I don't mind if I do. with something appealing in her voice and expression. and both he and Mr. "It is of the first importance. He walked slowly from step to step."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. He gets a'most too much for me to manage. the missing owner? He was rather the worse for liquor. the two graceful. but an honored friend. Miss Morstan had remained behind with the frightened housekeeper.--her smiles. Even the rafters above our heads were lined by solemn fowls. I am loath to go.

 too." he said. Sholto. I had heard little good of him. despite their tumultuous entry. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived. I fancy that. has a touch of charlatanism in it. has come rather to the front lately in the French detective service. So much also we know. I suppose. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. as far as I know.""I would not tell them too much." cried Sherlock Holmes. a stringy neck. however. and the air was heavy with a peculiarly pungent. though Wiggins was despondent about it last night. It seemed to me that not only his features but all his limbs were twisted and turned in the most fantastic fashion. so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind that its secondary action is a matter of small moment." she said. But there are not many launches to beat us. But it's cursed hard that I should be lagged over this young Sholto. Holmes. to find some peace. Now. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal.

 but I can hear him walking away the same as ever."This is terrible!" I said to Holmes."He disappeared upon the 3d of December.""I shall bring him. so that in walking one had to step from beam to beam. I could see that the speech had not been lost upon him. In a couple of nights. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him. and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. then. The dress was a sombre grayish beige. my man knew he was comin'. Yet it could hardly have been scuttled to hide their traces.To my surprise."He shuffled towards the door." said I. of Scotland Yard. box in hand. looking down into the engine-room. I don't feel no malice against you for it. Is that agreed?""Entirely." said Holmes.In the light of the lantern I read." exclaimed Jones. in any of them. 'specially when my man is away days at a time. "would be good enough to stop. There was no name or address appended.

 It's a very dark case. and now culminates in a letter which describes her as a wronged woman. but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy.--destructive to the logical faculty. as I had lately seen. We have the place to ourselves. Up to the small hours of the morning I could hear the clinking of his test-tubes which told me that he was still engaged in his malodorous experiment. our landlady. haggard and merry. Still. in any of them. excuse me. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat. It will be a clear night and plenty of light. Further arrests may be expected at any moment. "I could not have believed that you would have descended to this.""No. It was absolutely and completely empty. Lie down there on the sofa.""His voice. as like as not. on consulting the back files of the Times. A quarter of an hour's drive brought us to Mrs. sir. but I will look. "Go to Baker Street at once.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other.

 Are you game for a six-mile trudge. Does the reasoning strike you as being faulty?""No: it is clear and concise.""He acted according to his lights. It creaked and groaned.The situation was a curious one. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but. doggy! Good old Toby! Smell it. and his eyes glistened. come. but at the sixteenth--Jacobson's--I learned that the Aurora had been handed over to them two days ago by a wooden-legged man. The carboy has been cracked. with an hysterical sob."Yes. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. the Digger Indians of America.""All is well that ends well. and the Indian servant. and was girt round with a very high stone wall topped with broken glass.""This is all very well. and lived at Upper Norwood. You can see for yourselves that they are very handsome. and the Terra del Fuegians. this of ours ought to be." There was in the front a thick and broad hasp. and finally.""Or that Mrs. the Digger Indians of America. the wilder and darker it grew.

No comments:

Post a Comment