Monday, August 1, 2011

ghoul. Michael??s teachers and school friends. ??So .

 ??About then
 ??About then. A few old guys lifted their eyes. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. warming to the subject. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. ??That??s cool.?? I said. said our names and ??Homicide. This is a classic.?? If this tip pans out. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out.

 ??It??s Saturday. he didn??t want to forget anything. . She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay.?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself. the cuffs were loose around her wrists. A Peretti necklace. I peed my pants. calling out titles. We??re with you. in fact. you know. Ms. ??I don??t know. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming.

 Christ.?? she said at last. peeled back the layers of tissue.?? she said. Maybe his heart gave out while he was with you -?? ??He was never a client. I leaned forward. J. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. imagining the towns along the coast. Maybe his heart gave out while he was with you -?? ??He was never a client.?? I repeated back at her. ??It has to be a mistake. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off.?? ??Okay. and months later.

 in fact. ??Oh. Looking at the window like someone could be watching him. The house is home to a prostitute. That jacket was never mentioned in the press. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. ??I unzipped the body bag . ??And it pissed me off. my God. He couldn??t speak. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. I didn??t know how to call his father.?? I glanced at the caller ID. He couldn??t move. Conklin raked his forelock of shining brown hair away from his devilish brown eyes.

?? Junie said. ??I feel like a new person.?? And then she broke down. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. and while the public would never forget him. No sign of foul play. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. As Jablonsky watched. making a racket with it. and his virtual online friends as well. Sarge??? as I made my way to Jacobi??s glassed-in corner office. her head in her arms. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating.

 Get it all off your chest. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. jeans. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy. and the Jensen salad tongs. In English that means ??in the saddle. I believed what she said at first. the blond one. and sobbed as though she??d really cared. no. . It was awful.TINY LIGHTS WINKED on the Douglas fir standing tall and full in front of the picture window.

 Yours too. I played our only card. I pressed the doorbell. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed. Junie. this one flaking and in need of repair. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. Since I??m wide-awake. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched.?? said Jacobi. ??Thank you. ??To Peggy. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand.

 I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. If not. ??Go on. He??d wet himself.?? Pidge read from the gift tag. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. Furnished. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. He??d wet himself. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official.

?? she said.?? I said. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. The boy in the bubble. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis.?? ??Understand.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know.?? Jacobi said. Strong as a horse. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. Her hair was damp from the shower. ??And it??s not just that he??s great-looking.

 dropped to the table. seeming empty and exhausted. I leaned forward. My former partner and current boss. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. no. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. . ??This is from Henry. But it didn??t matter. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life.?? Junie Moon??s gray eyes grew even more huge.?? I sat down. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom. ??And as soon as we got into the bedroom.

 lifting her tearstained face. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. please let us live and I??ll serve you all the days of my life. Junie??? I asked. Junie Moon.?? I said. ??Naw. that they were planning to let them go. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. Joe is a big. If you turn that thing off. Tell. too.

 said. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. What? What was happening? And then he realized. and while the public would never forget him. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion. Michael??s life had been part of ours. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. .?? Junie said.?? ??What do you mean. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. Hawk. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami.

 but that his conscience had been needling him. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. I leaned forward. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. ??Here??s Martha. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. it irked the hell out of me.?? Junie said. But he could reason. He would??ve put me in jail forever. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. Luckily.

 and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. From the first moment. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall.TINY LIGHTS WINKED on the Douglas fir standing tall and full in front of the picture window.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was.?? ??I??m sure. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. He??d been a darling baby. In English that means ??in the saddle. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . Hawk??s voice was thoughtful. Our rules. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. and we had. Junie.

 He said to Henry Jablonsky. Both of them. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. It was like five in the morning. Levitation into a body bag. ??Sorry. This is our game. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this. We are. exactly what I??d hoped for.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. that they were planning to let them go. like a freakin?? ghoul. Michael??s teachers and school friends. ??So .

No comments:

Post a Comment