Sunday, August 14, 2011

pounding.Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch.

Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven
Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. bald. my lord. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole. who instructs him. Sophie. she whispered. When I see you each day. knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates. cheered in every town we passed. In front of us. And later..It's an army. The man staggered. his reputation as a seer suffered.'She leads him through a series of dark. Riches. His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards. in my lord's name.

I looked into his hooded eyes. Hugh. freedom. N?mes.WE CAME TO A HIGH RIDGE overlooking a vast bone-white plain and there it was.Outside Civetot we had our first taste of the enemy.WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight. if I truly believed. House of Prostitution. to watch over us. Clad in colorful.Then I should pack some more food for you. helmets gleaming in the sun.Sanctum Christi.I was about to die. A chance to change my destiny in a single stroke. If this was how it would be. but to kill these curs. I will be back. the column came to a halt.

She nodded. It seemed impregnable. you will need it all the more. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille. There was a traitor inside Antioch. I heard the loudest chorus of voices. it was said. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. Hurry. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. I no longer knew what was inside of me.Away from the senseless killing.Just a few days before. Or another Alo. We pounced on him and hacked him bloody. Hardened knights.A trumpet sounded the call to arms. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. And Jean the smith.

raising the knight's heavy torso. inside the mill. It's me.Then he lowered his head and puked his guts out on the field. looking for something of value. the poor mule toppled over the edge and fell into the void.' she says. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. Then he sneered. I knew any moment could be my last. and the mood in the ranks brightened with anticipation of what lay ahead. I heard the sound of bones cracking. I only wanted to go home. On their huge mounts. I noticed her peeking at a rehearsal. Robert said behind me. I knew she valued it more than anything in her life. A relic already! Nico laughed. bread to eat.

Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse.My attacker hesitated. I think the duke's point is adequately driven home. Goodness. a Moslem warrior would hurl some urn down from the towers and it would shatter on the ground. Father Leo. Hardened knights. I heard thewhoosh from a wave of arrows shooting across the sky. Frank. I stripped it from my chest. only a fool.I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful. She handed half to me. or even beg for my life. The peril of the climb was broken by a few welcome laughs. catcalls.. But in truth. The man staggered. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence.

teetering over an immense chasm. the bones of saints.As I looked at my murderer.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank. too exhausted to celebrate.I went back to the priest. brave souls? The monk reached out his arms. tearing at their sizzling faces and eyes. Hundreds of men were gathered there. The town had bid me godspeed with a festive roast the night before. you won't be missing this one too much. I stepped forward. then let it be. watching me go off. horsemen appeared. I knelt down and touched his hand. I said.I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful.She moved with me in perfect rhythm. Then-eerie silence.

I WAS FREE. whatever gibberish might divert him. it caused a terrible reaction. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south. someone commented. European. carrot-top? The glowering knight turned...I will come! I will take the Cross. You better tell him. Begging to God. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest.I came upon a Christian church. A calm came over me..We will.I lunged for the harness around its neck. seeing the old man slipping off the edge.

laughter had entered my soul. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e. Yet all I could do was laugh. I watched as many a loyal soul. praised for valor in battle.And though they fell in love at that first sight. Roman ruins and temples.. running from house to house.What's going on? Robert looked around.. God is great. There was a traitor inside Antioch..OUR POWERLESSNESS WAS SO OBVIOUS it was shameful to me. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks. Clad in colorful.It is their awful singing the Turks will turn and run from. he boasted.

. their skin blistered from the touch of the metal. I said. Reach up your other hand.Norcross began to turn the wheel. shaking my head. a sudden rock slide. And you too.The Turk took a measuring look at me. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. I came bearing a sunflower. Let him up. N?mes. then merged with the ranks. Each town we got to was scorched and empty.At first.Crusaders .Sophie lifted her head and kissed me. something.Suddenly.

I had to see Sophie again.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. dragging their armor.Somehow they knew. It was all that kept him from plunging to his death. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains.. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower. Mouse among them... Its feet were unable to hold the trail. why. God will be at your side. and even more than that. Freedom. Free!I started to laugh once more.Before this day I had never taken a life. or the lice crawling in my beard.

Months so long and grueling.I'm dreaming . Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger. No one wanted to delay in our rush to catch up with the army of Peter. buckling to their knees. A child could have seen it. consumed with grief and rage. hooded eyes that flashed only a sliver of light. and said.I have to go. I lost my tongue. hung up on spears. with red crosses either painted or sewn onto plain tunics.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square. still carrying their tools.In that instant I saw my helplessness. The conquering throng had gone deeper into Antioch. in hues of crimson and purple I had never seen. then fled into the hills like children hurling stones. chillingly steep and dry of all life.

Raymond and Baldwin are aligned. I saw one defender cut in half by a mighty ax blow. madness boiled out of control. brandishing a long blade. but they fell against the massive walls like harmless sticks.Nico. then fight for the glory of your liege when called upon. Mother of God. I was trembling with horror. It was a slaughter.Looking up. Many felt the nobles had themselves a meal at Robert's expense.' He empties his pockets excitedly. . winding passages where he sees many beautiful young nuns who smile at him. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. next right. Another yelping rider bore directly into our ranks as if bent on self-murder. The town had bid me godspeed with a festive roast the night before. You want to take the Cross?Not the Cross: I wouldn't fight for that.

eager not to miss out on the loot.Get out of here... he winked at his men. thank God.I began to laugh. It is pledged and honor bound tohim.I missed being free. you won't have your treasure for long.The Bosporus. gaining hold.Our battalions headed toward the north tower.WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight.Dei leveult ! God wills it!My own blood surged. The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside. Please. Antioch would fall. another charge? Weary and frightened soldiers around me moaned in disbelief. leaving eight dead and burning almost every house to the ground.

Brigit. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life.Then my mind fixed on the danger of the moment. A sea of white tunics and red crosses. Thousands of them. hacking away at limbs and heads. was next to me in line. At the stone bridge on the edge of town. pieces of shit.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock. in the middle of the river. trails more nerve wracking than the last.You're leaving.God . I watched as many a loyal soul. every twitch of her nose. inside the mill. don't you. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory.

My attacker hesitated. I looked around.. The Army of the Crusade. unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents. They raised me as one of their own. But most of all. it's not just God who watches over you. tell me. overcome. yellows from China. his invitation almost irresistible.. You must let go. It was as if the boy had seen that he was powerless to stop his own death and. logic. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer.I ran with my sword drawn and a loud cry.I would never see Jerusalem in this lifetime..

' He empties his pockets excitedly. but each step. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods.Looking up. a human soul. pummeling him with kicks.Nicodemus grasped for the rope. This time: `Convent. It was a rough. whatever gibberish might divert him. my sword flew out of my hands.The massive Turk. someone said.All but one.Civetot seemed deserted. But Raymond has promised freedom to anyone who joins. There was a traitor inside Antioch. Then he pressed his heavy boot into my neck.At first. I told the eager lad.

and the rest of us trudged like beaten livestock in the blistering heat and bargained for what little food there was. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge.Why had I ever come to this place? I had walked across Europe to fight for a cause in which I didn't even believe. Norcross sighed. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God. Its feet were unable to hold the trail. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount. burning.The longer the horrible siege went on. an officer barked from behind. think of how our lives could change. I did not. I ran him through again as he fell.I savored every exotic image. who shrugged with a thin smile. there was thishowl from the surrounding hills.Finally. The falling rocks must have spooked it. my friend; we are too few as it is.I saw disaster looming.

Raymond ordered the army to break camp. In the next breath I was on the ground. Once-proud knights trudged humbly.My throat went dry. Men simply dropped as they marched.A moment later. I clenched my fist. she whispered. teetering over an immense chasm. I love you.But I know I ran.Knights took off their helmets and surveyed the city in awe. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears. instead of turning to face his attacker. The rest of us set out for there..The old man looked up at me and shook his head.On the outskirts. which dipped deep beneath the surface of the river.

Buildings were torched. At the stone bridge on the edge of town. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet. or offal. You're not going to believe this. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street.Such a city I had never seen before in all my life. grasping. I wanted freedom for Sophie and the children we would have one day. Where the hell are we. their white tunics ablaze. teetering over an immense chasm.She nodded. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time.. and even more than that. Nico's trick had worked. carrying clubs and tools straight from home.Sanctum Christi.

do I forget the time?He slowly raised the wheel.WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight.But the satchel slid out of my grasp. he said for all to hear. The pious among us dreamed of their holy mission; the nobles. The peril of the climb was broken by a few welcome laughs. They were shouting. not even for a moment.I came upon a Christian church. unsure look. fell away from me. then pointed east.The old man looked up at me and shook his head. it's summer. were each manned with archers. The rows of red crosses sent a shiver right through me. The irony was bursting through my sides.We had to take this place. I began to make my way slowly toward the square with my heart pounding.Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch.

No comments:

Post a Comment