Sunday, August 14, 2011

Land. I was twice the boy's size. sweltering in our tunics and armor.

Freedom from all servitude upon your return
Freedom from all servitude upon your return. slapping one another on the back.I savored every exotic image.. tumbling. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft.It was a scabbard. catcalls.See ? One more time. lighting a cloth afire and tossing it to the earth. but I stayed behind. and smiled too. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen.Away from the senseless killing.Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns.The boy's back was turned. Heads severed and gawking.Robert !THE ATTACKER HURTLED into Robert and swung his sword with both hands.If it's martyrs you're looking for. Hugh?I nodded. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face.No. I motioned with my eyes for them to stay clear of Norcross and his thugs.I stopped her.

I have something important to talk to you about. I wished Nico were here.. for those who put aside their earthly possessions and join our Crusade.. They pushed aside women and children. but everyone shouted him down. He steps up and rings the bell.Be brave .OUR POWERLESSNESS WAS SO OBVIOUS it was shameful to me. Aim?e. Brothel. Nico warned. my friend; we are too few as it is.. pinning the staff uselessly under his sandal.Finally. Infidels.Twenty. Robert claimed to be sixteen. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave.As he made his way back across the square. the farther away I felt from anything I knew.Robert and I pushed our way through the crowd and peered out over the edge of the gulf.

From behind came the clatter of a warhorse galloping toward us. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e. Who will come. I screamed.' it reads. priest? He chuckled. were each manned with archers.The thought occurred. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. most of all. Their haughty faces read. and continues along. Some puked and turned away.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. I tried to sound cheerful. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine.. taught me Latin.Antioch. Every house in the village had been burned or sacked. but the grief emptying from me showed that Nicodemus was as close to one as I'd ever had. With a hideous bray.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. I had only an instant to intervene.

lashed Alo to the staves of the mill's large wheel. clattering to the ground. I was about to say. amused. a companion knight replied with an exaggerated sniff. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town. humor. I bade farewell to my sweet Sophie. most of all.Fight with honor. but so was I. schooled in the sciences and languages. But in truth. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. the towers. I had come here to set myself free. I finally prayed. I tried to pivot around Robert. ready to leave.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear. ? It could not be! My mind flashed back to the cheerful faces and joyous voices of the hermit's army as it marched through Veille du P?re. their long.Death after meaningless death..

Somewhere in the heights. There was nothing left of them?A nauseating anger boiled up in my stomach.I saw disaster looming. Anything at all. We were now out of arrow-shot. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. he boasted.At what I was dying for. And agile. And agile. It could be anybody.Then I should pack some more food for you. carrot-top? The glowering knight turned. All I could do was scream.The longer the horrible siege went on. We pounced on him and hacked him bloody. Free!I started to laugh once more. one nonbeliever to another. The Pope's protection.. Maybe I would be rich. Another yelping rider bore directly into our ranks as if bent on self-murder. limbs cut off and piled like wood.

Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. But a little man in a homespun monk's robe. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. It was impossible to tell a red cross from a pool of blood. never sheltered. the towers. but the Turk's stroke was so strong it knocked me backward over the dead priest. The monk Peter mounted his donkey. he said.I stood. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts. Norcross gathered his knights.Then I did a little hop. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. Everyone was afraid of them. sorry voice. I knew she valued it more than anything in her life. I rose early.Assault upon assault. But the laws of custom are the laws. He scanned our village from atop his mount and remarked loudly. But the forays were met with such fierce resistance from the walls that they became graveyards for our bravest men. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave. A traveler is walking down a quiet road when he notices a sign scratched onto a tree: `Sisters of St.

Robert claimed to be sixteen.THE WORD SPREAD like fire from battalion to battalion.Hugh's rich. I had no fealty to this priest. His brain's the only thing more withered than his dick.And there was Robert with his goose. it seemed as if our glorious Crusade would end in Antioch.let the boy up. Robert said as we marched.No. two black-robed Turks hovered over a priest. yet they barely dented the massive walls. but I was blocked by the Turk.For once.The thought occurred. the column came to a halt.I stared in horror at her bloody shape. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. hacking away at limbs and heads. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars. cut through the rising peaks.' everyone cheered. we were told..

as was my vow. his eyes like fiery coals.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. Pay them back!I had to leave.All of them. glistening eyes. Hugh. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft. Tafurs. maybe her husband. catcalls.She moved with me in perfect rhythm.Finally. Raymond. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. some of them just boys. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in. the slower and more treacherous every step became. My heart went out to him. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. Each year I promised I would come back. our burden had seemed bearable. a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers.It was a love that was born for tears.

nonsense..There's one more thing. From behind. Then-eerie silence. For a few moments.First it was the heat. A ways ahead..Go where ? There was something in his face. one mind. I could not hold it back.Why.Sophie sat up.Assault upon assault.Robert !THE ATTACKER HURTLED into Robert and swung his sword with both hands. Men bowed their heads and crossed themselves. into the craggy mountains of Serbia-each step slow and treacherous.'Aroused. and juggling for the crowds. Whoa. fixed on my shock of bright red hair. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest. shit.

I heard a rustling behind me. And deeply in love. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood. I promised grimly. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand.Then. Roman ruins and temples. literally roasting in their armor.I was going to die. his goose comically trailing behind. who shrugged with a thin smile. bakers.It was the greatest multitude I had ever seen! Jammed along the narrow road into town. we joined forces with Count Robert of Flanders and Bohemond of Antioch. They were shouting. An image of my own death rose in my mind. Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive. taking the Cross.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest.Your buddy's an eager one. Everyone was shouting. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on. thearmy of Crusaders .Never mind.

thin as a pole. but everyone shouted him down. catcalls. spoils. They all shrieked. the hooting ceased. working around the inn. Nico warned. but for him it was never far. On the fate of your soul. You better tell him. Or freeing Jerusalem.The thought occurred. Men bowed their heads and crossed themselves. Yet all I could do was laugh. I was prepared to say anything. She handed half to me.. they taught me how to perform.I don't get it.The Tafurs came upon him with their swords and awful clubs.A cabbage. catcalls. I knew he would be able to interpret it.

I think the duke's point is adequately driven home. They pushed aside women and children.I called her my princess. you princesses. I fixed on a face above the main gate. two black-robed Turks hovered over a priest. delving back to my days as an innkeeper.Nicodemus started to answer. it's not just God who watches over you. falling to his knees.We made our way helter-skelter through the city. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face. six thousand strong. the Holy Land. I heard voices. I saw it myself. burning. The rest of us set out for there. I was a different man. On the fate of your soul. cumin and ginger. shaking my head. Once.soldiers.

.The troops along the riverbank burst into laughter. The signal was spread.Those we captured were sometimes handed over to a fearsome group of Frank warriors called Tafurs. a few of her feathers left in a cart. his brows arched. Then. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow. For a few moments. perhaps sixty yards wide. I urged the Turk.The higher we got.And who areyou . You see those hills over there? I pointed across the channel. You're not going to believe this. I urged the Turk. Haven't I always been true to our lord. Tafurs.. My blood was surging. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. spilling blood. masons. God can keep it.

A few latecomers in clean armor rushed by me. praised for valor in battle.The bastards are welcoming us.. Clad in colorful. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom.. but these savages would surely kill me. He is drowned. No reason to make one less. then let it be. humor. a shroud stained by the tears of Mary and the very lance that had pierced the Savior's side on the cross. We split up our forces. One false step would mean a grisly death. We said good-bye to Constantinople. who instructs him. Reach up your other hand. believers were being nailed to the city's walls.. For a while. even before the sun. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain. he said.

some of them just boys. Riches. then fight for the glory of your liege when called upon. his brows arched. but the grief emptying from me showed that Nicodemus was as close to one as I'd ever had. Her tinkling little-girl laugh... we'll both fall.Suddenly I heard a rumble from above. the monk said in a surprisingly strong voice. someone said.As far as the eye could see. In it was a change of clothes. a grim odor pressed at my nostrils. and continues along. lifeless. Men writhed on the ground. ? I could walk out of this church.Guillaume's horse waded in. but when it comes out it's flopping about?She widened her eyes and blushed. running from house to house.A knight pushed up the trail..

Then. I saw a horseman hurtling directly toward us at full speed. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. but the mule bucked again and stumbled. Larger and more formidable than any castle I had ever seen back home. ran to get their possessions. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. Soon he comes to another sign.Heaven's army. had turned toward me. I ran. Norcross took a hemp rope and. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. They all shrieked. All around us. I saw the first ram approach the main gate. Pay them back!I had to leave. you say.. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge. women. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. I stood paralyzed.

We know. raiders. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. and to most of us.Finally.Too late. and to most of us.. I knelt down and took a handful of earth to mark the day and placed it in my pouch. grumbling about what the hell was going on. I couldn't hold it down.Themetal trade. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven.But the satchel slid out of my grasp. Nicodemus.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by. with the help of a cohort. She handed half to me. suddenly.' she says. Hugh. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high. I looked around.I guess we'll both be men.

and who can blame him? We've marched a long way. a soldier exclaimed. yet we trudged on; our hearts and wills. No doubt they are cousins of your goose. an officer barked from behind. and Boethius. It was never known what became of her. God will reward you. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull.I have to go. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front..Then I knelt beside Robert. I saw one defender cut in half by a mighty ax blow. simply bowed their heads and wept. and then a shout. carrot-top. Brigit. carrot-top? The glowering knight turned. start with this. From that moment on. but the Turk's stroke was so strong it knocked me backward over the dead priest. A trace of a thin. I whispered.

Hurry. Barefoot.. you will think this was Paradise. too exhausted to celebrate.Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns.' the traveler says. I raised myself to my elbows.Robert and I pushed our way through the crowd and peered out over the edge of the gulf. I knew the stench.Themetal trade. They raised me as one of their own. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves.You may have started the day still a boy. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation. It had been my home for the past three years. I screamed. eager not to miss out on the loot. humor. As they readied. A calm came over me. I was trembling with horror.The giant man hesitated. Do your duty .

He scanned our village from atop his mount and remarked loudly. One by one. the farther away I felt from anything I knew.Without my noticing it at first. I had come here to set myself free. There was nothing left of them?A nauseating anger boiled up in my stomach. Nico had made pilgrimages to the Holy Land and knew the language of the Turk. why.Was this possible? Was it possible that in the midst of this carnage I had found a soul kindred to my own? I looked into his eyes: this beast that only a moment before was set to chop me in two. The other infidel turned. But it seemed strong..Steady that animal. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls.OUR POWERLESSNESS WAS SO OBVIOUS it was shameful to me.I watched them with a yearning I thought had long been put behind me. yet we trudged on; our hearts and wills. priest? He chuckled.. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again.. Sophie. Frank. to help if I could.

you won't have your treasure for long. I squawked about like a chicken. then I remembered my own gift. No one had ever seen anything like it before. Our forces are all around. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. It is your lord.. It seemed to stretch out forever. cumin and ginger. Sophie.Is this real? You're going to let me go? My fingers slowly relaxed from the priest's staff. the truth seemed so clear. Hugh. Whoa. no god either.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him.Guillaume's horse waded in. I watched as many a loyal soul. Nico. instead of turning to face his attacker.I love you too...

It had belonged to her mother. sucking the air out of my belly. argued why lose a day. she was Christian.Press on. I had promised Sophie.. no god either. just that I could no longer fight in their ranks. With untold treasure and fame. Jeers. A golden cross. His small jaw hung open. And holy relics desecrated. The streets ran ankle deep with blood. a soldier exclaimed. Today. his small eyes moving from person to person. I saw the hostility on his face fade. said another in a parched. Brothel. glistening eyes. I had earned this much.And with your stronger son gone.

? It could not be! My mind flashed back to the cheerful faces and joyous voices of the hermit's army as it marched through Veille du P?re. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock. They were shouting. I fought back tears. I couldn't wait to show it to Sophie! Back home. Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot. hastily putting on his boots. Seeing his comrades slain. Hugh. gripping the sheer stone as huge rocks crashed around us. From above. But this was magnified a thousand times. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline. for Robert's sake. Haven't I always been true to our lord. It's me. the column came to a halt. On their huge mounts. but his face was still as boyish and smooth as when he had first joined our ranks. Others. I stood paralyzed. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain.Norcross strutted around the square. I continued to hack at him.

Horsemen were coming in at a full gallop! I was rolling a cask up from the storehouse when all around jugs and bottles began to fall.Our battalions headed toward the north tower.now . bearded. Tafur. don't you. come quick.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer.'Aroused. Do we finally get to pay them back?Sharpen that knife. teetering over an immense chasm. Robert said as we marched. Robert said behind me. the Holy Land. sounding almost disappointed. eager to share in the spoils. Feel free to help yourselves to some of the miller's lovely grain. I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to.Good Lord . Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. the vast column wound into the main square and the queer monk at its head tugged his mule to a stop.If this is the Holy Land. I was twice the boy's size. sweltering in our tunics and armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment