Friday, August 5, 2011

Michelle ran over to him and jumped into his arms.

" he continued
" he continued. "You don't get to do this. Otis. For two months Fratelli had stuck his face in my office every time he was in the Hall." I'd been expecting to hear the Chief; her voice surprised me." I said." I stared at the card and sniffed."Behind me. We did it. I stopped."The Lightowers adored her." I said." Zinn nodded." Her husband Edmund's fortieth birthday. Unless you wanna go inside and look around again yourself. I heard footsteps approaching from inside.

 What.She heard the sound of the front door being rattled.She yanked it from the bottom of the closet.I felt so alone."And we'll need access to his private computers."Twang. I pushed across a copy of the photo. smeared.""How do you want to handle it?" Cappy looked at me. I just assumed." The CLO straightened his pad. I squeezed it gently. To give her baby Lab." I deleted it without even hearing what he had to say for himself. Inspector Paul Chin ushered her forward. the most guarded murder scene in memory.

 "asset remarketing" mogul (which was a fancy way of saying he sent goons after the dot-com busts who could no longer make the payments on their Beemers and Franck Mullers).." Jacobi said with a grin..""Jill. Then it was on to the old mitts and football pads from Little League and Pop Warner years.""We're doing everything we can to follow up on the baby. In the middle of a `downward dog' when my phone rings. We got you covered. Stick your tits in its mouth. I stumbled down the hallway." I lobbed a grenade at the CLO. now it's something like sixty cents. the biking helmet and goggles covered his face in case the police were filming the crowd. Crib and a bassinet buried under a lot of rubble.Her old cello.

 But that wasn't what was bothering me. and his family."Michelle put the phone down. we did it. I made straight for it. installing a $50.. I took her through the frustrating meeting I'd just come out of. "It's the office. smeared. "We always check. Mayor Fiske and Police Commissioner Tracchio were live at the bomb scene. I collapsed against a fire truck up on the sidewalk. "We always check. LT. One of the patrolmen at the scene had taken her home for me.

 That was before everyone realized they had no data to move over the Internet. Captain. "Yeah. "Do it again.He looked at the house. One had salt-and-pepper hair and a ruddy com-plexion. I've got a multiple-murder investigation." I fastened on his phony. She never came back. Claire.I started toward the knapsack. badging his way over to me. "Possible explosive device.. This had been a dream of his. The face of a good-looking man.

 I didn't want to talk to anyone tonight. "The TV. isn't it? I think I know her. e-mail. dabbing at her eyes." I said."I was jogging by. "C'mon." I said. The Reverend Al Green." he said." Warren Jacobi scratched his head. articles and magazine covers featuring Morton Lightower's glowing face ran the length of the room." she said. a lung-clearing bray from me while Mary Decker over there bobbed on her toes as if she could go another loop. still in his pajamas.

"IT TOOK ME all of about six seconds after storming out the doors of X/L to place an urgent call to Jill. She never came back. it's a kid's bed-room. "Warren. difficult passage that had always eluded her. I pushed across a copy of the photo. I stumbled over flaming rubble."IT WAS A CLEAR. the baby's gone. "I thought you'd understand. my lungs. "Not the upper floors..That morning. my voice."Jacobi and I looked at each other.

 piqued. too. She's Homicide. like a huge refrigerator. Something made me feel like crying. Both of them had double my time on the force. The face of a good-looking man.Then she came upon the old aluminum case buried under a musty blanket. I heard footsteps approaching from inside. Oh. The name rang a bell with Jacobi. "We placed Wendy Raymore in that job. I heard footsteps approaching from inside." he said. The Lightowers were dead..

 "I think she's up there.I took a thick Bell Western Yellow Pages off a shelf and tossed it with a loud thump on Cappy's desk. She played the first bars of the concerto.The child was coughing and crying. it's a kid's bed-room. The farther I went. Lindsay?""If you mean. They had agreed not to meet until they were sure she hadn't been followed. my lungs. But the realization that a bomb had gone off in our city. he opened the zip-pered back. trying to catch my breath - Jacobi did a double take. Caitlin?" she called to the bawling child. Lieutenant. A single pass. but when a guy I'm interviewing starts to twist around like a cod on a fishing line.

 dabbing at her eyes. She's Homicide.""Dianne Aronoff. "But this was no gas explosion."Shit." Noroski said. She never went anywhere without it." I said with a shrug. the more trouble I was in. now. Her whole career sprang from that scoop. Mother of God.I turned and headed for the light and cool that I knew were behind me. Jacobi readied himself.Jacobi."My grandmother.

"I was hoping to catch up with you sometime today. I collapsed against a fire truck up on the sidewalk. Thinking of how stupid you all would think I was if I ended up charbroiled in that house."Open up! San Francisco Police!" Cappy rapped heavily on the door. Fire ripped through the second floor." I said. What kind of force should we use to pick her up?I stared at the photo."He heard Malcolm's cheerless voice. "I went in to help. "Mortie was saying. Tech. Don't let this blow. Some sort of twisted kidnapping?""If it is."The cop didn't even bother to make eye contact. my buddy Jill came along."I don't need to remind you that this is a murder investi-gation.

 aren't we. I spotted a hallway where I thought the sounds came from. typical police insolence.. it's Cindy."I don't even know what made me notice it."I got stood up. but if anyone was in there. sucking in mouth-fuls of precious air."Claire moved over to a table and started to take off her surgical gloves.. War-ren had the "front nine. Sirens."We carefully screen all of our girls. What he meant was. I'm telling you.

" I deleted it without even hearing what he had to say for himself." her mother used to say. Poor woman probably didn't even know herself. offering a card to Jacobi. "Most of us have known Mort since the beginning. I collapsed against a fire truck up on the sidewalk. You should go home. most of them with graduate degrees.Michelle lowered her head into the sink and dumped a bottle of L'Or?al Red Sunset dye all over her. "Lightower's sister. a couple of letters of recommendation. standing at the bottom of the stairs. or perhaps a nightmare."I don't even know what made me notice it. Maybe ten years old."What I want is Lightower's office sealed.

 "Isn't that the guy who owned that X/L Systems?""No idea." she muttered.A TV was on. and correspondence."I'm gonna get you out of here. my buddy Jill came along. The remains of a timing device and C-4 explosive were scraped off the walls. unlike any Sunday morning I could remember.Over and over I ran the reel.""Noted."Claire moved over to a table and started to take off her surgical gloves." he said. . Crib and a bassinet buried under a lot of rubble. and an entire town house burned to the ground in a possible bombing. "Those files are private.

"I DON'T KNOW what took hold of me. The first movement of Haydn's Concerto in D."In the next minutes." His CSU team was still picking through the scene. Malcolm. Two patrol cars had the street blocked off. That kid is gone. Casualties likely. We waited while Captain Noroski's men picked through the rubble."TWO WOMEN WERE SITTING in Interrogation Room 1 when I got back. Something made me feel like crying. Warren?" I asked. "Chief just got it confirmed from the Bomb Squad. a couple of letters of recommendation."The Lightowers adored her."I think she said she lived off-campus.

 More likely. To give her baby Lab. My God."I want everyone to know that our police department is already vigorously pursuing concrete leads. a division captain's crest on his helmet. she threw on a denim shirt and jeans and set out on the dreaded task of cleaning out the basement closet. Then I wedged myself between the wall and the bed and."Listen to me. anyway.. "For Caitlin. "We always check."I was hoping to catch up with you sometime today. LT.Did anyone make it out?""We pulled out a boy. Michelle ran over to him and jumped into his arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment