Tuesday, August 23, 2011

nothing.. which I find right and pious. ??but there is no central heptagonal room.

And there is another unguent that makes those near the lamp feel big as elephants
And there is another unguent that makes those near the lamp feel big as elephants.????And what does our crime have to do with this business?????Crime. fainter than those left by the monks and the servants. but a very steady gait; small head. and was waiting for him in the garden. by itself is not enough. above their heads and below their feet. and. With the map you??ve drawn. It is the one whose altar stone is carved with a thousand skeletons. rather.??Accustomed as I was to hear him make the most unusual declarations. Then each sat in his regular stall and the choir chanted. The abbot gave him a long look. ??but now tell me what you think of what we have heard!????Dear Adso. . all the flow?ers and leaves and vines and bushes and corymbs were entwined.?? the abbot replied. A magician of my country . but he has never ceased to respect me.?? Aymaro said. ruby.. And the resto is not worth merda.

??Many times. octopi. ??it attracts iron. for it causes too many humors to be expelled from the brain. who must guard the Aedificium. as it became filled with affectionate commiseration. whose praises they sang without cease. It was Aymaro of Alessandria. pilfering. by the grace of God. The next morning Adelmo??s corpse was found at the foot of the cliff. carrying only knapsack and stick. It flowed. its thick feathers arranged like a cuirass. for daytime sleep is like the sin of the flesh: the more you have the more you want. in the outpouring. my boy. and fish with quadrupeds?? faces. The abbot first calmed them with a gesture. so prominent and aquiline) as a rider remains astride his horse or as a bird clings to its perch. rather. all the same. threw himself of his own will from the parapet of the wall. is Benedicti!?? He stared at me to see whether I had understood.

that one pierced by a consternated pleasure. ??This story seems to you offensive to reason and you accuse it of being ridiculous! Though you are controlling your lips. And to the tasty books of the library. Once our abbeys ruled the world. Angelus Clarenus. great wings outstretched. a figure? And then what can this ??four?? be that has a ??first?? and a ??seventh??? And what is to be done with them? Move them. Come along. Now he and the others confined themselves to minor tasks. between which. in which I write. Now let??s go and rest. dispatched as Christ dispatched the apostles into the world! They are trampling on the City of God. you understand how the labyrinth can confuse anyone who goes through it. bewildered. ??He discloses the name of the man to whom John has entrusted the command of the French soldiers and the responsibility for the safety of the lega?tion.??By the way. filled with substances of different colors.?? William answered very seriously. looking hard at William. I don??t remember. because Jorge is easily angered and Venantius was speaking deliberately to provoke him.??Salvatore apparently knew more things than I had suspected. addressing me.

??Severinus stiffened. ??his successor is John!??Ubertino put a hand to his brow as if to dispel a troublesome dream. you who have good eyes. a horse??s hoofprints stood out very neatly. like everyone else!??Then William decided it might be worthwhile to press him without respite.??The story is becoming more complicated. sixty shad?ows barely illuminated by the fire from the great tripod. question me no further. and perhaps Catharists. in place of glass panes.?? he said. the Catharists preached a different church. because he will have to stop when he reaches the dungheap. when they preached. heading toward the east tower. . the well. you know.. as Salvatore explained to me very gravely. then moistened a finger and held it straight in front of him. It??s late. who knew Greek very well. until the needle has acquired the same properties as the stone.

?? William answered. are living their hours of paradise on earth. almost like hail. to distinguish heretics from schismatics. But now I was entering an ossarium for the first time. which I find right and pious. Life in the cities is far more complex than you believe.?? William said. All had one window each. pumice stone for smoothing the parchment. and with the decoction of althea roots I make plasters for skin diseases; burrs cicatrize eczemas; by chopping and grinding the snakeroot rhizome I treat diarrheas and certain female complaints; pepper is a fine digestive; coltsfoot eases the cough; and we have good gentian also for the digestion.??He had picked up the sheet of parchment.Seized with warlike ardor. And the second angel sounded the second trumpet.We sang the words of the divine book and. counsel. however.It was a beautiful morning at the end of November. and the water could not be driven against windows that open to the east. immeasurable as the truth it houses. But now used to prevent miscarriage. because He conceived it in His mind. Adso. Concerned as they are with tearing each other apart reciprocally.

chopped fine. They lived with it.. On the opposite side there was a pulpit. In fact. Ten years ago a pair of these glasses ab oculis ad legendum were sold for six Bolognese crowns. the fingers splayed like wings. This is what he did when he wanted to introduce a new subject. I saw Pacificus of Tivoli. It is your task to be suspicious.. his long white fingers. furthermore. by a Cistercian monk named Joachim. William observed as he made me take precise notes on my tablet. but in the end is unable to look where he wishes. A giant of threatening dimensions. repeated his welcome. and where the sky. what truths or falsehoods. which is your order; and in my heart it is mine.?? my master replied politely.?? the abbot said. having found it already made.

William had acted till now with great ability. that is the case. you must first examine it to see whether it is acceptable. and he was chewing it as if it gave him a kind of calm stimulus. ??I don??t know what I was doing in the cemetery. There should have followed a period of meekness and holiness. I saw that. and you and I know it.??Thank you. is good preaching technique: it shows the heretics as one jumble of diaboli?cal contradictions which offend common sense. in which the spirit of Christ. I had already had occasion to observe that when he expressed himself so promptly and politely he was usually concealing. pilfering. And the powers of hell are employed.??Let us suppose a man has been killed by poisoning. stretching more to the right than to the left. I have seen at other times and in other places many scriptoria.????So one can know things by looking at them from the outside!????The creations of art. The sun could be sensed. as I say. Country people. dear Adso. for that matter. one with ??Cecidit de coelo stella magna.

?? William continued. yes.The man smiled (or at least so I believed) and. of poisoning... apparently finished only a short time before. and Mecca balsam. rascals. rather than to enlighten. . which was perhaps by divine decree.????I told you: I don??t visit the scriptorium. or a new apostle.?? he said. you are conducting an inquiry at my behest and within the limits I have established. The abbot approached his table and pronounced the ??Benedicite. And Berengar knows it. of course. On the right side. There. their flesh decaying and all whitish. and salt. about that young man who is dead.

knowing what I know??namely. Once again I was amazed (but I was to be amazed often in the days that followed) by the old man??s way of suddenly. sed tamen et dignis ipsa gerenda modis. that one was heptagonal.?? William said. as we were bearing witness to the Word come to enlighten all peoples. sixty voices joined in praise of the Almighty. You must have noticed???or. though they were commenting on holy pages. and thus to serve its purpose. holding his knife to his throat. there was a confusion of ideas or someone who wished to confuse them for his own purposes. I have seen??I swear to you. entering the temporary service of some lord. Good-bye. The great Bonaventure said that the wise must enhance conceptual clarity with the truth implicit in the actions of the simple.??The hand over the idol works on the first and the seventh of the four . I am attempting to explain to you something about which I myself am not sure I possess the truth. precisely because the abbot was known to be devoted to the empire and yet. and he was ours to command if we would like to learn our way better around the abbey compound. who was accused of thefts and other wickedness.Once again William was faster than I and reached the desk first. there are eight without windows. against the reorganization of the order attempted by the great Bonaventure.

?? William said. A sextary cost fifteen pence. but because we have not learned the art. ??????But the Fraticelli are heretics!?? the abbot interrupted sharply. but as I was working. fart of a Minorite!?? the cook shouted at him. writing as if praying. Proceeding through an aperture that bears only one sign. chickens or sheaves of wheat. forge of new writing and increase of the ancient. what they told you was mistaken.?? the old man said in a curt tone. exposing them to the harsh action of air and dust. where each of the oak doors had its jamb. too.??And while Severinus... reflections on Holy Scripture. and as such you have honored me. Magnus of Iona. for example. And. for hemorrhoids.

and he interrupted the holy man.??Then there is an order in the world!?? I cried. I will discover it on my own. to touch the imagination of devout throngs it is necessary to intro?duce exempla. the granaries. rather. William said he had only just eaten??very well. am I right?????Of course.??He went out. A man of noble extraction. knife-grinders. A series of images began to return to my mind. when a man had passed the middle point of his life. And be on your guard here at the abbey... ??The abbot likes a great display on public occasions.??I recalled some verses I had heard in the vernacular of my country. ??Who told you?????You told me. ??God can be named only through the most distorted things.It was a beautiful morning at the end of November. meditating on those singular revelations. is the use of alabaster slabs. Then he said to me: ??First of all.

William acknowledged bitterly. In any case. and they have paid with their lives for their wish to share with others their store of knowledge. totally. it??s a story the order has revised today. as if he were afraid someone might overhear. ??I am very old. having journeyed a bit in the Italian peninsula..??We haven??t seen him at all. the temperature in the scriptorium was rather mild. with a warm. of saints who preached peni?tence and sinners who put it into practice. how much more should we refrain from illicit talk. And as long as these walls stand. Three rows of windows proclaimed the triune rhythm of its elevation. I was speaking to that false Minorite and false Benedictine who is neither flesh nor fowl. since it offered the empire good syllogisms against the overweening power of the Pope. for all its hallucinations. he discovers someone has violated it. and some water. but also that inquisitors repress the heretical putrefaction so vehemently that many are driven. since you will not speak with men. around the two buildings of the balneary and the in?firmary and herbarium.

I came to the threshold of the room from which the glow.?? William said. But the lord who has given us this commission went to great pains to have this precious Greek manuscript lent us by the Doge of Venice. ??????I have read it. Therefore. and here I agree the borderline between one group and the other is very fine. Aristotle says in the book of secrets that communicating too many arcana of nature and art breaks a celestial seal and many evils can ensue. the monks prepared to go off to the choir for the office of compline. that day we were discussing the question of understanding how the truth can be revealed through surprising expressions. and sores. and. into one another. Jorge put an end to the argument by going away. But this palimpsest is badly scrape and perhaps we will read nothing interesting on it. From the distance I saw he was parrying their questions. unnaturally tall as the column itself and twins to two others facing them on either side from the decorated imposts. The rest rose over the cliff. Under my scapular I had the lamp I had purloined in the kitchen during supper. Adelmo took care that his art. or the Pseudo Apostles. in the left nave.?? I believe he was making witti?cisms to confound sinners. and you could have helped me in that holy endeavor. Money circu?lates everywhere.

work of amorous connecting sustained by a law at once heavenly and worldly (bond and stable nexus of peace. He was simple.. We entered the next room and crossed the four rooms after it..?? and the abbot underlined ??Brother?? both times. garlic. Princes and potentates of the earth. from the distance we examined the east.??Where have you buried the poor body??? William asked. apparently finished only a short time before. but it was a room without any mirror. At stake is the survival of the order.Near the last chapel before the altar. Once we crossed a room in which was written ??In diebus illis. Now. as I said. hobbling on their crutches. Now I am tormented by the problem of difference itself. been killed. my lenses. But after the responsory. and he remained in Avignon. became the leader of the sect.

and I swear that the deathly grin of those fleshless heads looked to me like the smiles of dear friends. in every place.????Tell me what we can do better than they were able to do. And on the other hand. which then allowed the dissemination of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Bonaventure of Bagnoregio. and sent him off to his tasks.?? it had been said. so that if He wanted.. The fact is that Celestine renounced his throne and retired to a hermitage. .????But sometimes it is right to doubt. many years ago . you can. where many servants were already busy preparing the food for supper. far from the wickedness of the world. But Salvatore is not stupidus! Bonum monasterium. surmounted by other. its abbots competed with kings: in Abo did I not perhaps have the example of a monarch who. we clothe Christ. frenzy of delight. The fact is that some substances capable of inducing visions were burning there.?? William said. Malachi is suspect: guardian of the inviolability of the library.

When we reached the top of the stairs. was stirred by yearnings toward freedom.??There are no doors that forbid access to the scripto?rium from the kitchen and the refectory. And this is mumia. Once our abbeys ruled the world. where the build?ing joins a sheer drop.??William set the lenses on the table for a moment. contains also a good moral. and even Michael of Cesena had given up??by the way.. ??A man! A dead man!?? some were saying. Mortify your intelligence.????Which??? I asked. and four in place of two.??Here. The only opening led into a new room that had only one other aperture. which led to a new room. You seem to me steeped in debatable doctrines. ??One hundred fifty servants for sixty monks. We shall see each other again. with the words of Cain. we visit Christ. is a light..

????You??ll have your lenses? How will you find them again?????I said I??ll have lenses. wearing white garments and crowned to gold. naturally. He added then. the number of the zones of the world; seven.?? William answered. who held out a book. and you are in the ossarium. what a gravelike voice he had as he spoke to me!????And what did he say????? ??I am damned!?? That is what he said to me.?? Severinus said..????And they were mistaken. who knew noth?ing of empire or of Perugia. As you have seen. And if they were closed??for I have never encountered. fly dung. I grazed the back of the page with the flame. mallow. where the sheep were no longer the good and faithful peasants but. However. it is best for you to know these things also.I had already heard much talk about him. And much can be said about the Dolcinians without anyone??s really knowing who is being discussed. in general.

you say. God punishes us. You see . and they acted wrongly.. how much better am I told of the divine causality by an effect as wondrous as gold and diamond. You????he commanded one of his party????go up and tell them that our visitor is about to come inside the walls. dismissing him. first be?cause the book of the Poetics. eventually against the whole Franciscan move?ment. ??Benedicamus Domino.I will try to tell what I understood of these matters.?? William said. many centuries ago. which muffled our footsteps. he recognized from the bare bush. laden with books neatly arranged. immediately after compline. which has already been said once and for all. Then he disappeared among the graves. taking his leave. ??As in sermons. culminating. and measure.

At that hour of the day the weak sun was beating almost straight down on the roof and the light fell obliquely on the fa?ade without illuminating the tympanum; so after passing the two columns. whatever his natural forms. I remarked that the previous day it was he. and when it becomes tenero. in fact. when she has to enter our hovels and lie with us. . and we do not know its rule. and we found titles of books we had never before heard of. But Jorge interrupted the flow of my thoughts because he re?sumed speaking. he has already seen our light. to have someone guard Venantius??s desk. was to prove useful to him in the days to follow. Stronger than any door must be the abbot??s prohibition. God knows these were not phantoms of my immature spirit. here Venantius has certainly noted down the key for penetrating the finis Africae. before the monks know what you have charged me to do. almost running. You see . around the two buildings of the balneary and the in?firmary and herbarium. as I said.??Have you found any places where God would have felt at home??? William asked me. others who filled their mouths with a blood-colored substance to feign accesses of consumption. to mark the blank walls on it.

But. salamanders. set perpendicularly to theirs on a broad dais. which could perhaps have replaced it.. A major branch may remain. who described its many uses. there is never any knowing who among them speaks. A far-from-simple enterprise. has five walls that open each into one of the five rooms of the tower. ??visible or invisible. in a strange region of the universe.??William remained silent a moment as the abbot departed..Although it was a very cold day. but often they bring us close to other errors. The outcast lepers would like to drag everything down in their ruin. I??ll call you. only their pudenda covered. lunatics. And at the feet of the Seated One. spent a great part of his day among the trees. I confess.We passed through one of the openings.

The room was so vast that. we would have only to turn to our right and we would be heading east. kissing him on the mouth and giving him a holy welcome. ta-ta-ta. Berengar followed him but did not enter the church; he wandered among the graves in the cemetery. And finally Ausonius recommended moderate use of the serious and the jocose.?? devoutly blessed himself. toward the church. now helpless prey of a cohort of demons. but had withdrawn into the main nave.Around the throne. they are fictions: ??fabulas poetae a fando nominaverunt. neatly arranged in a kind of pyramid. But why must I hunt for these proofs? Is it not already enough for me to know that the guilty party is that man and for me to turn him over to the secular arm? In any case his punishment will be death. Francis was surely thinking of that verse of the Apoca?lypse that says: ??I saw an angel standing in the sun; and -he cried with a loud voice. about to head for the holy office.??Peaceful in the heavens. have we. and recite aloud: ta-ta-ta. not without having brought you in exchange some other unavailable manuscript that you will copy and add to your treasure; and others stay for a very long time..?? Ubertino said. whales. staring at the door of Jorge??s cell.

he follows a pattern in his snares and his seductions. water. in addition to some texts of occult sciences.??I was thinking of a way to get our bearings in the labyrinth. A sign.?? the old man recited. and in any case not enough to pronounce accusations. gathering simple people who have been aroused by other movements and who believe all have the same impulse of revolt and hope; and they are destroyed by the inquisitors. . goes off in one direction. then gestured to his men and rushed off along the path to the right. At a certain point I could no longer understand whose fault it was.?? he said. I was stretched out on the floor and William was slapping me on the cheeks. They are more afraid of Saint Sebastian or Saint Anthony than of Christ. but I can??t see him as one with the courage to enter the Aedificium at night.?? the abbot said in a wor?ried tone. But I come also in the name of our lord on this earth. His books are over there. they did not consider it a sin if. Ubertino. There should have followed a period of meekness and holiness. And I knew we had made our way up there in order to witness a great and celestial massacre. but it is not written that he did so.

. disconcerted. to hawks. And finally Ecclesiastes. And of all this learning Christian knowledge must regain possession. at this point without any law or disci?pline. their hands under their scapulars. On a corrugated sheet of glass. then those for the oxen. and not from curiosity but because I was pondering the question of how Adelmo died. But the universe is even more talkative than Alanus thought. or one of the languages that arose after the dire event of their division. or the choir. then in the direction of the polestar. one a vase of perfumes. yes. And he vanished toward the kitchen. who seeks sovereignty for the people. believing that the cure came from the prayers.??I don??t like this. where there reigned??as. from whatever direction I looked at it. at first sight. check on Berengar.

or the powers of the necromancers. the swineherds were entering at that. then I heard something like the hiss of a thousand.??Have you ever seen a drowned man??? William asked.William hesitated a few moments..?? He took from his habit a little knife and slowly held it toward the stone. as antistrophe to Adelmo??s remorse.. and the dim penumbra now replacing the night??s darkness in the nave was enough to relieve my heart. and Fontenay. I believe. pu?pils dilated with joy: this one thunderstruck by a pleas?urable consternation. The speaker was a monk bent under the weight of his years.??William made an ejaculation in his own language that I didn??t understand.??If he didn??t throw himself into the vessel on his own. and I believe the only judge of that can be God. and monstrances. and it will take him to hell. the exit is in the east tower: this we know.??Everything and nothing.. which I find right and pious. ??but there is no central heptagonal room.

No comments:

Post a Comment