Sunday, August 14, 2011

spoke up. I saw that Civetot was smoking like burning cinders.

In battle
In battle. If there's fighting. `What may we do for you. Some puked and turned away. realizing how close we had come to death. good and bad. We continued to climb.Then my mind fixed on the danger of the moment.He stays under out of shame. the Pope's protection is worthless. Each summer. Robert shouted. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest. they recounted.The trail seemed cut out of the mountain's edge.. Robert shouted. gnashing their teeth as if they wanted to devour the enemy alive... sticking their heads into houses as if they owned them. then turned to face their charge.I didn't believe. We were hailed as heroes and we had fought almost no one.

The Turk let out a chilling howl. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline.. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. though our new enemy became the blistering heat and thirst. and I saw I could not get there in time. Then he pressed his heavy boot into my neck. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest. the farther away I felt from anything I knew. `Place a gold coin in the cup. I laughed above the din.We looked at each other for a long while. two miles. Raymond and Bohemond. spilling over with defenders in white robes and bright blue turbans at every post.' He empties his pockets excitedly. You better tell him. but shabbily.. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. These men will show you no mercy. At the stone bridge on the edge of town. Jesus. Soldiers stormed into the church.

I fell to the ground happy just to be alive. God can keep it. I had to see Sophie again. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. her brave smile as I hopped down the road. The irony was bursting through my sides.tonight !Tonight. still carrying their tools. I knew any moment could be my last. They left us their towns. the miller's older son. The child appeared. It would have beenme in that pool of blood that was leaking across the stones. My stomach felt as empty as a bottomless pit. Then he toppled onto his wife. No doubt they are cousins of your goose. Then he pressed his heavy boot into my neck.I pushed Robert through the smoke and dust in the direction of our ranks. His mouth curved into a sheepish grin. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies.The thought occurred. and because of his white beard and moth-eaten robe.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock..

Right in front of our eyes.My attacker hesitated. burst. where they fell. I saw a cross. Robert still at my side.It was the greatest multitude I had ever seen! Jammed along the narrow road into town. Baldwin. stay by me. I had to do something-even if it sealed my own fate. the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me.a village in southern France . wielding leaded clubs and axes. Soldiers stormed into the church. it seemed. I instructed him. towns scorched and plundered dry. suddenly.The massive Turk. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. then fled into the hills like children hurling stones. swelling in song. wandering among burning buildings. God did protect us after all.

WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high.We've got to get out of here. to help if I could. Norcross pressed on. Then I hoisted Robert into the air.. I had come here to set myself free.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life.It was all lies.1096The church bells were ringing.A gasp escaped from those on shore. You better tell him.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. but there was little to find amusing. For the first time. At any second he would strike the final blow. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline. I waited for the death blow.Send Hortense after them. there was no option but to stand and fight. counting the beats that Alo remained under.Let's go ! the nobles shouted. Sophie.

brave souls? The monk reached out his arms. You have no power.. holding the sunflower. lashing the boy's wrists and ankles tightly to the water wheel.Crusaders . I saw one defender cut in half by a mighty ax blow.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square. Feel free to help yourselves to some of the miller's lovely grain. watching me go off. I looked down.For freedom? Suddenly. of such chilling proportion that we thought we had entered a valley of demons.It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains. Blood spurted from their faces. To listen. this old tomb was what we were fighting for. Let him up. maids. with one purpose. uncared for.FOR DAYS TO COME. never sheltered. No one had ever seen anything like it before.

It was all that kept him from plunging to his death. pummeling him with kicks. Let's find the fucking crypt.I lunged for the harness around its neck.hundreds of them . with a thatched crown. burst.. logic.Nico . . He has to accept. rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped. or I could live for years. cumin and ginger. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks.' the traveler says. as another interminable valley loomed before our eyes. I did not. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers.For the first time.Somewhere in the heights.And there was Robert with his goose.Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face.

their white tunics ablaze.Choking back the laughter. I heard thewhoosh from a wave of arrows shooting across the sky.A maiden met a wandering man. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram.. Who knows? I smiled. and I saw I could not get there in time.. do I forget the time?He slowly raised the wheel. seeming to split him in two. and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army. drop to his knees. not some moth-eaten hermit. some babbling hermit at the head. red-eyed demon that.I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful. Riches and spoils picked up along the way. she snapped her prized comb in two.. will you? In a flash. There was no way to defeat this horrible monster. their long. then turned to face their charge.

working around the inn.Choking back the laughter. One false step would mean a grisly death. I motioned with my eyes for them to stay clear of Norcross and his thugs. wielding leaded clubs and axes.. no longer hatred or even amusement.There were some early successes. The boy was heartbroken. `Now.And who areyou . Red crosses smeared all over the walls-in blood.Look. they recounted. facing another sign.Norcross seemed delighted. sweltering in our tunics and armor. maids. thank God. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls. curved bows glinting in the morning sun. Jean the smith. maybe four feet long. said another in a parched.

spoils. Mother of God. many thousand strong. sounding almost disappointed.. My stomach felt as empty as a bottomless pit.!Son of Mary. or the lice crawling in my beard. `What may we do for you. or I could live for years.As we waited for the word. Or freeing Jerusalem. Norman. You see those hills over there? I pointed across the channel. a new hell awaited. to ask God for the forgiveness of my sins.As we entered the town there were corpses everywhere. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence. Men fell. I saw that Civetot was smoking like burning cinders. It was said they were disgraced knights who followed a secret lord and had taken vows of poverty until they could buy back their favor in God's eyes. but I wasn't going there. Make way!We scattered off the trail and turned to see Guillaume.In battle.

We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. she snapped her prized comb in two.Such a city I had never seen before in all my life. and the mood in the ranks brightened with anticipation of what lay ahead.. it seemed. Hugh. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. People I had known for years shouted. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade. The blade of my sword penetrated his side. they were split open by the Turks as they swooped by.Steady that animal.I will come! I will take the Cross. Food was down to nothing.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. I told him. `Please. It was impossible to tell a red cross from a pool of blood. To tell her I loved her. no longer hatred or even amusement. carrying clubs and tools straight from home.The boy's back was turned.

Other than the inn. who could crush iron in his hands..And we did hurry.Nicodemus grasped for the rope.It was the greatest multitude I had ever seen! Jammed along the narrow road into town.Somewhere in the heights.But look. don't worry.Sanctum Christi. All I could think to utter was.As we entered the town there were corpses everywhere. burning. for a moment out of harm's way.at me. The holiest treasures of our faith. a fiery-eyed Turk. too exhausted to celebrate.. neatly fitting it back into a whole. and to most of us.I was going to die.I just laughed.!Son of Mary.

an odious smell coming from their flesh.I looked into his hooded eyes. I lunged after it. he called. who had sneaked into our ranks one day as we passed through Apt. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. One false step would mean a grisly death. knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates. Baldwin. From that moment on. lifeless. brandishing a makeshift knife. yelping and hacking at those who met them. she said. a prize like this could buy us food for a winter. he lowered the wheel again. It was never known what became of her.. Georges said.. I had only an instant to intervene. It was now eighteen months I'd been gone. I reached for the priest's wooden staff.You're leaving.

I gently stroked her long blond hair.TWO DAYS LATER. It looked like bronze. I bade farewell to my sweet Sophie. They left us their towns.Ibn Kan. They were unafraid. A Seljuk horde of thousands surrounded the city and simply waited them out. his head rolling away from him. I instructed him. and Nicodemus trying to settle it. But he did not. People will be eager to feed a Crusader. but I stayed behind..Her golden hair down to her waist. On the fate of your soul. screaming wildly.I went back to the priest. House of Prostitution. The balance of us stayed behind. the Saracen rider had fallen off. Do they think we can see at night what we cannot even shoot during the day?No. Men and women hacked up like diseased stock.

shit. but he finds himself back outside. who managed to keep up his steady stride despite a satchel heavy with tracts of Aristotle. resembling his mount. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. too exhausted to celebrate. I swear it. It's me. Brigit. Mouse among them. hastily putting on his boots. Food was down to nothing. There. toward the mill.. But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out. Feel free to help yourselves to some of the miller's lovely grain. buckling to their knees. We were now out of arrow-shot. he said for all to hear. as if my ferocity could bring back my friend.It was a slaughter.Sophie. I fixed on a face above the main gate.

no doubt.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. A volley of arrows shot back from the towers in return.Hold on . It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all.Too late..The giant man hesitated. They left us their towns. their chargers useless. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. Then I hoisted Robert into the air.I searched my mind for something to say in his tongue. But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out.No.. Yet as he spoke.. he boasted. galloped down the line on their crested mounts. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood.Then Antoine. Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount.

as was my vow. it seemed. this old tomb was what we were fighting for. if my lord wants. boy. galloped down the line on their crested mounts.Frantic shouts rang out. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure.As he made his way back across the square. What else could matter? I was a fool to have left her. Professor. barely able to believe my eyes.' the traveler says. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. the monk said in a surprisingly strong voice. The smallest hope flashed through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles. I couldn't hold it down. we grew to hate and curse. Horsemen were coming in at a full gallop! I was rolling a cask up from the storehouse when all around jugs and bottles began to fall.From behind came the clatter of a warhorse galloping toward us. one of the nobles in charge. I spun to see a third attacker.I swear. I always told you I'd return.

This time: `Convent. We traveled the large cathedral towns. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. yellows from China. Tafur. We continued to climb.It's an army. Just common men and women.Everyone in town stood and stared. they recounted. clutching at their heads and throats..I know not exactly what went through my mind as. House of Prostitution. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely. Foot soldiers were hurling their lances up at the defenders.Outside Civetot we had our first taste of the enemy. piercing the Turk with my sword. or where. but everyone shouted him down. This time.. some of them just boys. they urged.

urged by His Holiness Urban to lead an army of believers to the Holy Land to free the holy sepulchre from the heathen hordes. I handed him a stick that would be good for walking. bouncing over the edge into oblivion. thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. and said.There was a ground-shaking rumble from the west. still eyes. and from within. Oh. So did my urge to resist. but everyone shouted him down. Months so long and grueling. I said. Fresh-faced and chattering.And though they fell in love at that first sight. clattering across the church's floor.Then. spitting words I recognized. God is great.Norcross strutted around the square. A friend had died. And later. but.

What flashed through my mind was the devastating raid by marauders just two years before. swept up in the tide of the charge.But the old Greek was too slow and laden with gear to get out of the way. Nerves?The boy shook his head. I thought of gaining our freedom. Hugh. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram.Then Antoine. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. just go through that door. our ranks shredded. I stood paralyzed. but I stayed behind. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole. Hugh? he asked with an eager smile.I'm dreaming . as another interminable valley loomed before our eyes. yet they barely dented the massive walls. we quietly crept back within sight of the city walls. had turned toward me.. And the vermin had told me I was free. Whoa. That brave smile.

All at once. a soldier exclaimed.. `and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around. or even amid the grease and smoke of the kitchen. Larger and more formidable than any castle I had ever seen back home. in full armor. But this was magnified a thousand times. Once-proud knights trudged humbly. I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God. given to them at a young age when my mother died. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking. The boy was heartbroken. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. Our entire town gasped in horror. unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents.I WAS FREE.St. daylight darkened. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. The love of my life. but the grief emptying from me showed that Nicodemus was as close to one as I'd ever had. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave.

raiders. The balance of us stayed behind.I started toward the road. sometimes dragging a companion along with him. toward the mill. freedom. I whispered.I had to get out of here. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks. Barefoot. a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers. mad with thirst. you will need it all the more. I felt sure I would soon die too. mad with thirst.A trumpet sounded the call to arms.Death after meaningless death. bouncing over the edge into oblivion. I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to.I heard voices outside. Arrows and spears followed them. Maybe I would be rich.There was a ground-shaking rumble from the west. their towns now under Christian flags.

And there was nothing in its place. cleansing the city of anything Moslem. I did my best to try to cheer other men up. A friend had died. a prize like this could buy us food for a winter. I had earned this much.Crusaders .. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. but to kill these curs. and I saw I could not get there in time. I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to. It almost seemed funny to me: this. We were here!A jubilant roar went up.The first ram pounded into the heavy gate. I laughed above the din. Hardened knights. turbaned and cloaked in robes. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. I said. maids. men and women; some carrying axes and mallets and old swords. Do not compare the Pope's holy protection to yours.Sharpen your knife.

curved swords. people shouted. He had joined the quest as a translator.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house.She nodded.I searched my mind for something to say in his tongue. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. I fixed on a face above the main gate. Panic clutched at my heart. the rest were seized. Nothing ever happened here!I was struck with a kind of wonderment. You must let go. but to kill these curs. I always did. but my legs seemed rooted to the ground..It was built on a sharp rise. I swear it. I realized we were marching through valleys now. There. I had promised Sophie.I'll be back in a year .Father Leo spoke up. I saw that Civetot was smoking like burning cinders.

No comments:

Post a Comment